WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: X Gui Missing After Install  (Read 5430 times)

Offline lewisforlife

X Gui Missing After Install
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
Hi, I have installed Tinycore many times, and have not had this issue. This issue is with a computer that I have never installed tinycore on before.

Here is what happens, I boot to CorePlus from a CD and click the install icon. I am doing an Furgal install on an existing partition. On the last screen of the install I can see the "Install X Gui." I add Tinycore to my menu.lst grub file and boot to it. I am taken to just a CLI, I have tried startx (command not found). How can I troubleshoot this issue so that I can load the gui?

I have tried deleting the tce directory, re-installing, and I get the same issue.

Offline Misalf

Re: X Gui Missing After Install
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »
Maybe you can try to load Xlibs.tcz which contains  startx.

Code: [Select]
tce-load -i Xlibs.tcz
Mabe Xprogs.tcz and Xvesa.tcz as well.

tce-status -itells you what is loaded.

cebrings you to your 'tcedir' which should contain the 'optional' folder which again contains all your extensions.
You might check if that is actually the case.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:55:15 PM by Misalf »
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline lewisforlife

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 05:49:18 PM »
tce-load -i Xlibs gives me command not found, I guess I may have to download manually from the repo, along with the dependencies, and put it in the same directory that I run the command from?

tce-status -i gives me command not found

When I run "ce" I am am taken to the tcedir, there is nothing in the Optional directory, and no files present in the tcedir. This is so strange. Just to make sure nothing was wrong with the cd, I redownloaded CorePlus, reburned the cd, and tried again following the install instructions. I have done this countless times on other computers with no issue. Do you have any other suggestions?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:07:10 PM »
Hi lewisforlife
... I guess I may have to download manually from the repo, along with the dependencies ...
Or you could just boot that machine from the CD and copy the extensions from the  cde  directory to your machines
tce/optional  directory.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 04:48:58 AM »
Command not found? Your install is corrupted in some way if even normal commands are not there. Is this a really low-ram computer?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline lewisforlife

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »
I mean to say that the package files were not found, not command.

Offline lewisforlife

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
Hi lewisforlife
... I guess I may have to download manually from the repo, along with the dependencies ...
Or you could just boot that machine from the CD and copy the extensions from the  cde  directory to your machines
tce/optional  directory.

I tried this, then I can install the package, but then when I issue the "reboot" command, and get back to tinycore after booting, the package is not installed anymore. Do I have to issue a command to backup the system before issuing reboot? Or is there a different way I am supposed to reboot from the CLI?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
Make sure you have a persistent tce directory - see wiki.
Use APPS to set the desired packages as onboot.