WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: vnc server  (Read 15215 times)

Offline steveumbal

vnc server
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »
Really nice project ... now I have piCore installed and working on my otherwise unused 256mb sd with sshd on boot and browser jumping like a charme.
Keyboard, mouse and monitor are far from my Raspberry so I test the sd in a virtualbox client, is there any chance to have a vnc server (like x11vnc) on the repository?
If there will be also a torrent client I promise I'll change the sd  :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:25:00 PM by steveumbal »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: vnc server
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »
Hi,

let me see which VNC server I can add ton the repo shortly. Regarding torrent, you can use lft. It is a console client which support not only ftp but many other protocols including torrent:

http://lftp.yar.ru/features.html

Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:59:16 PM »
x11vnc is added to the repo.
Béla

Offline beerstein

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 04:33:56 AM »
Hi steveumai:
Can you please explain the " so I test the sd in a virtualbox client" procedure a little bit more. I do not anderstand what you are doing.
1. On what system is the Virtual Box system running?
2. What is running inside Virtual box?
3. From what OS are you "ssh - ing" into Raspi?

I was able to connect from Mint 14 ssh client into the headless Raspi running Raspian.
X forwarding in Raspian is enabled, so after I found  the Raspi IP I could administer the Raspi.
I could start GUI applications such as midori. But - I was not able to start the Raspian GUI, which is LDXE - I guess.
Now I learned that a VNC server on the RaspberryPI would allow to have a remote GUI on my MINT14 system. They recommend Tightvnc in an article from"Peguin Tutor"

BMarkus is it too much to ask for TCL Tightvnc extension ?

My plan is to have piCore-X running on my RaspberryPI and vnc into he RaspberryPI from a Core Plus machine.
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:06:52 AM »

BMarkus is it too much to ask for TCL Tightvnc extension ?

My plan is to have piCore-X running on my RaspberryPI and vnc into he RaspberryPI from a Core Plus machine.

No plan to add it to the repo. There is x11vnc in the 5.x repo which works fine. You can connect to piCore from TC 5.0 x86 to the Raspberry via VNC with tigervnc-client.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:08:34 AM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline beerstein

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
Thank you for this. I will do that. But is there a way to have a VNC server on my current piCore-X 4.77. For the time beeing I have piCore-X4.7.7 on a 2GB SD card running. I am writing this from RASPI in piCore 4.7.7 using dillo browser.
Works great. I installed openssh on the Raspi and it starts at boot. So I can ssh into TCL piCore from my mint 14 system without a mouse, monitor and keyboard

Offline steveumbal

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
Hi steveumai:
Can you please explain the " so I test the sd in a virtualbox client" procedure a little bit more. I do not anderstand what you are doing.
1. On what system is the Virtual Box system running?
2. What is running inside Virtual box?
3. From what OS are you "ssh - ing" into Raspi?

Doesn't matter from where I run TinyCore, it's in the SD so I can boot it from my Raspberry Pi or from a virtualbox client. I used virtualbox because it's a pain to move my Raspberry from where it is now, attach a keyboard, a mouse, switching monitor, ecc...  but without a vnc server I can't use Tiny Core gui.
So, simply, I created a machine in Virtualbox, switch to x86 image and attached the SD as an hd storage and boot from it.
Virtualbox is installed in my windows server/workstation pc but I'd could have done the same from my mint-mate partition.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:27:12 PM by steveumbal »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
x11vnc added to 4.x repo
Béla

Offline beerstein

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »
Thank you again.
Now I set up an 8G SD card with piCore-5.0.alpha5.img.gz and it boots ok into CLI.
On a readme.txt file in the 4.x section I found instructions on how to ger X running from base piCore  image. I followed the commands and after reboot I got:

Bus error
Bus error
awk: cmd. line:1: Inpu/output error
several times and then:
failed in waitforX

Please help?

Offline beerstein

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
sorry I did not follow exactly: I did not create a swap patrition

Offline beerstein

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »
x11vnc added to 4.x repo --- I am not able o install on piCore 4.7.7
error in installer

I still can not get the piCore-5.0.alpha5 to work. After installing the GUI and reboot I am getting that "failed in waitforX" error.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
x11vnc added to 4.x repo --- I am not able o install on piCore 4.7.7
error in installer

Provide details. Which installer, what is the error.

I still can not get the piCore-5.0.alpha5 to work. After installing the GUI and reboot I am getting that "failed in waitforX" error.

Can't reproduce. Tested installation from scratch, works as expected. Please describe your installation procedure, for example where is /tce and how much free space there is.
Béla

Offline beerstein

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 08:26:40 AM »
bmarkus thank you for the good work with raspi. I am not sure whether to continue my testing results here or if I should start a new post?

I will put it here for the time being and later we could make a new subject:
1. piCore 5.0 rc 5
It took me 10 hours to find out that the problems I had were related to SD cards. There is a wiki especially about that. Result: SanDisk SDHC Card, 4GB, class4  Type: BH1216021911G
finally worked for me. I also discovered that there can be problems, when you use the wrong SD card to USB adaptor. (when dd image to SD) Another question is which file format do I use to start out? I tried FAT16, FAT32 and ext3. The new 4GB SanDisk SD card came with 4MB unallocated and the rest (3.69GB) were FAT 32. So I left this untouched and wrote the image onto the SD card. After dd is finished the SD card shows a 42MB FAT16 partition and the rest (/dev/sdc2)shows as unallocated. I formatted this to ext4 and forgot a swap partition. Until now I have not encountered any problems which might be related to the missing swap. If somebody knows more, please let me know.
Now the SD booted nicely into the CLI. I followed the instructions from the README.TXT file "Instructions to get X running from basic piCore image". No errors any more so far.
After sudo reboot the raspi did not reboot, I had to shut it off and start new again. Now it booted into GUI. I picked a mirror and tried to install aterm. It did not install an error message "aterm install -Failed" So I switched to the command line and installed aterm and pcmanfm using the tce command. Now install worked.
ALT CTRL F2 did not bring me back into GUI, but startx worked. Now I was able to install from the GUI installer. Why? - please check.
PROBLEMS: pcmanfm needs work. No icons, horrible fonts, it seems that several fonts are missing anyway.
DILLO3 browser needs libjpeg1.tcz in its dependencies.
I installed x11vnc and tigervnc but did not test yet. The tigervnc wbar icon shows up only after reboot and not after install.

For an alpha version this piece is great. I love that Raspi - in 1978 we had computers in our home now, we can have one in every corner of the room.
Now I will try the same with the new rc6. I will ry a 4GB Sony SDHC Type SON SF4N4 - the wiki says this should work.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 09:24:46 AM »
SD CARDS

Doesn't matter how SD card partitioned, dd will overwrite partition table with a new one containing only one 40M Win95 FAT32 (type 0x0c) partition with RPI boot files, firmware and Core kernel plus initrd. It is OK for initial run in cloud mode, you can create additional partitions (ext4 for /tce and swap) later.

I'm always creating SD cards with a notebook equipped with SD card adapter running TC, not using externals USB adapters and WINDOWS for this. Usually it works, but there are more parts to fail.

I'm using cards from different vendors. Had problem only with a brand new VERBATIM 4G Class 4 card which was inrealible, with frequent write errors, etc. But in general no issues.

What you must avoid microSD cards with adapters. I have older microSD cards left from demaged smart phones. Cards are slow, and the adapter (Kingston) is causing problems, ubrealible operation, data loss, etc. Its mechanical parameters are different from normal cards, doesn't fit well into the RPI socket, etc. So, never use microsSD card with adapter!

SWAP

In the beginning you do not need swap, but need during ordinary use especially running memory hungry applications, compiling, etc. You can have

- swap partition
- swap file

and you can mix them also. piCore now enables zswap by default, so even if you are not addings swap yourself, you have 105M (Model B with 512M RAM) compressed swap in memory, see '

Code: [Select]
free
WBAR ICONS

tigervnc-viewer installs vncviewer. If the icon name (.desktop) different than the extension name it is not added when you load just after startx executed. It is not piCore bug, it is a TC5 behavior.

Will check dillo3/pcmanfm.

And thanks for testing and reporting you findings!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:31:26 AM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline beerstein

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »
thanks. In the meantime I found out that the Sony SD SF4N4 is not working for me,  not on TCL piCore 5.0rc5 nor on Raspian 2012-09-25 The wiki showed all Sony SD cards OK for RASPI?
The best SD card for me so far is the SanDisk SDSDB2L-004G-B35 - works with TCL and Raspian.

I will now switch to piCore 5.0 rc6