WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: VT-switching with Core Linux  (Read 3100 times)

Offline georgp24

VT-switching with Core Linux
« on: October 16, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
I booted Core Linux and Tiny Core Linux with the "text" boot code and tried to switch to a second session with CTRL-ALT-F2. This did not work. How do I enable VT-switching?

Georg

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: VT-switching with Core Linux
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline georgp24

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
Thank you Robert, multivt enables CTRL-ALT-F2. I will now test if I can use "ioctl" calls to do the vt-switch from a program.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
With shell scripts you could use "chvt".
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline LDS

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
In the "old" days the way to change VT was to use ALT Fn (n=1,2,...).
I am using multivt and can see the is being read by TCL (dCore 5.14.03.09) using showbootcodes. I can also get a new VT  from the shell using the chvt command.

What I _do_not_ get is changing the combination ALT-Fn to work. Any hint?

Thanks!
LDS
Note: my /etc/inittab has respawn for ttys 1 to 3 and askfirst for ttys 4 to 6.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
If you are running X you need CTL ALT Fn.
You hijacked a thread in the wrong forum.
Please post dcore questions in a dcore forum.

Offline LDS

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 06:15:17 PM »
Thanks for chiming in Gerald.

The FAQ at http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/faq.html#bootcodes explains that the base boot flag disable extensions at bootitme. It might be semantics, but the name of this forum is also Tiny Core Base Q&A. I am also running without X extensions, thus I expected ALT-FN for changing VTs, which as I said work as expected with chvt from the CLI. And anyone running X and using CTRL ALT Fn would be in my same position, needing to ALT-Fn to change to another VT (with ALT F7 probably bringing him/her back to X).

I still think the issue, being related to a bootcode is independent of the the two methods to extend the base system defined as the kernel + and (some) initrd in the FAQ. Reading further, multivt just provides the suitable inittab that bb will use at boot time, and will do the same on both Core and dCore initrds.
I might be wrong and people using
Code: [Select]
initrd=core.gz
do get a different behaviour/inittab than the one I described,  but the doc says different and that is the reason why I am asking.

Cheers,
LDS :)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:55:38 PM »
I can also get a new VT  from the shell using the chvt command.

No you don't, 'chvt' just switches tty, regardless to what's there or not, to get a new VT you would use 'openvt'.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline LDS

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
Thanks for clarifying the difference between openvt and chvt tinypoodle. I never thought/knew about that. probably because I never had an inittab with askfirst, and if understand you correctly with respawn both openvt and chvt would do the same.

Anyway, my original question is still: what can be the reason for ALT-Fn not working when syslinux booting from a flash pendrive with just the kernel and the initrd (dCore.gz) and multivt as a boot flag? I did compiled a custom kernel, but just include/exclude some pata drivers.
Am I missing something?

TiA,
LDS

Sent from my ...who cares?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Try it with the stock kernel. If that works, it is your custom kernel that is the problem.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »
if understand you correctly with respawn both openvt and chvt would do the same.

I never implied any such, and only ever tried to use openvt with target unused tty.