WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Help installing SCM extensions  (Read 1368 times)

Offline philip

Help installing SCM extensions
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »
When I want to refresh my TC system, I just replace the core.gz and vmlinuz files and update the extensions as needed. I just did this again to jump to version 5.0.1. Most things seem to work OK.

So far I have never wanted a package that came only in the new SCM format, but now I think I might. And I can't find any way to load an SCM extension. The CLI command "scm-load" suggested in another forum thread does not exist on my system, there is no relevant-looking executable with the letters "scm" in its name in core.gz, and the app-browser seems to look only for TCZ's. (wbar shows no relevant tools in the GUI, either.) Further, the latest ibiblio.org directory of SCM's still has tinycorelinux/4.x in its path. So ...

Are SCM's still an important part of the TC system design?

How can I add fresh SCM's to my system?

Is there a fault in my approach to updating (outlined above) that is making me miss out on important new functionality?

Thanks.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Help installing SCM extensions
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 10:28:23 PM »
The scm capability was dropped in tc-5.x

Offline Rich

• Administrator

Offline philip

Re: Help installing SCM extensions
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 08:46:54 AM »
Oh dear. Being in the education business, I have plenty of opportunities to complain about students who just won't read simple clear instructions. Now it appears I have fallen into the same error, as I notice for the first time these key items in the announcement of Release 5.0:

* scm extensions have been dropped
Please feel free to test any extensions from tc-4.x with tc-5.0 and report progress in the tce section of the forums so that working extensions can be copied to the 5.x repo.

These facts work together: it was an unsuccessful search through the list of TCZ's approved for 5.x that gave me the idea that I wanted SCM's instead. Now I understand that I need TCZ's, but that everyone is invited to help check that the 4.x versions still work after the kernel upgrade attached to 5.x. I'll test my favourites and report.

Thank you both for correcting me so gently!