WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: python tce.insatlled seems to have wrong perm  (Read 4257 times)

Offline jls

python tce.insatlled seems to have wrong perm
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:52:44 AM »
Hi
While loading an extension I've noticed this:
tcl.tcz: OK
tk.tcz: OK
bzip2-lib.tcz: OK
sqlite3.tcz: OK
python.tcz: OK
touch: /usr/local/tce.installed/dbus-python: Permission denied
dbus-python.tcz: OK
touch: /usr/local/tce.installed/e_dbus: Permission denied
e_dbus.tcz: OK
touch: /usr/local/tce.installed/python-e_dbus: Permission denied
python-e_dbus.tcz: OK
So I think that python has a problem.
Ciao
dCore user

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: python tce.insatlled seems to have wrong perm
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »
Explain the problem you are suspecting
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 05:13:14 PM »

This can occur if "python-e_dbus" is not present

I have had this this a lot, until I realized the error is generated simply because the the app is not present. misleading huh?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:15:10 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline althalus

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »

This can occur if "python-e_dbus" is not present

I have had this this a lot, until I realized the error is generated simply because the the app is not present. misleading huh?
I don't believe that is the case here - touch will create the file if it does not exist, or update it's last modified time if it does. What jls_legalize's snippet says to me is that loading python.tcz appears to change the permissions on the tce.installed folder.

I fired up a blank tinycore VM, looked at the permissions of /usr/local/tce.installed, install python, and checked again.

Before: drwxrwxr-x. After: drwxr-xr-x

So python, or something to do with installing python, does indeed cause a problem. I can only assume (not having time or inclination to test this any further) that this can and will cause bizarre problems that otherwise wouldn't exist for some people and might not be reproducible by anyone not running python.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:17:30 PM »
I don't believe that is the case here - touch will create the file if it does not exist, or update it's last modified time if it does. What jls_legalize's snippet says to me is that loading python.tcz appears to change the permissions on the tce.installed folder
Myabe, maybe not.  I can't say..  however this permission error I have experienced (report linked below) I think is very similar if not exactly like the op's

This post depicts a similar issue "touch: /usr/local/tce.installed/xxxx: Permission denied" (there were many more than shown in this picture, but I think the issue was clear)
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,15945.msg94223.html#msg94223

don't believe the issue is related to gstreamer, python or other extension, other than the fact that an extension (required dep) is missing only.  The extension(s) listed in the above screenshot were in fact not present in the optional directory.  This "touch: /usr/local/tce.installed/xxxx: Permission denied" issue was completely resolved for me by manually downloading and installing the missing extensions and adding these to the dep list, since then I've not been able to duplicate the error
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:01:23 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:32:14 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
... touch will create the file if it does not exist, or update it's last modified time if it does.
True, provided that whoever/whatever invoking  touch  has sufficient permission to write to the directory/file.

Offline althalus

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
... touch will create the file if it does not exist, or update it's last modified time if it does.
True, provided that whoever/whatever invoking  touch  has sufficient permission to write to the directory/file.
Yes. I assumed it would be obvious enough. My quick testing seems to indicate that after installing python, these permissions are no longer correct on the /usr/local/tce.installed directory. This is consistantly reproducible.

Myabe, maybe not.  I can't say..  however this permission error I have experienced (report linked below) I think is very similar if not exactly like the op's
No missing dependencies in my test system ;)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »
Quote from: althalus

But are you experiencing the permission denied issues as indicated by the op and as indicated in the screenshot (in link above)?

Besides how would you know for sure?  Considering my extensions appeared to work fine, yet produced 20+ permission denied errors  (see above link showing a few examples) with missing optional deps
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:00:52 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline althalus

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 01:44:43 AM »
Quote from: althalus

But are you experiencing the permission denied issues as indicated by the op and as indicated in the screenshot (in link above)?
Yes. As I've mentioned, I can reproduce exactly the output jls_legalize included in the OP.
Besides how would you know for sure?  Considering my extensions appeared to work fine, yet produced 20+ permission denied errors  (see above link showing a few examples) with missing optional deps
Firstly, it is fairly apparent that no one has taken the time to separate out python's optional deps (or alternatively, has gone to great lengths to include every possible optional dependency - see for example, tcl and tk being included as deps). Secondly, I'm still not convinced that adding the optional deps was the solution for your problem in the other thread. It may have fixed the problem, but I do not believe missing dependencies CAUSED the problem. The error message generated by touch is very specific. It can't create files in tce.installed because of a permissions errors.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
Hi there

I had the same error messages while loading any extension after loading python.tcz.

I repacked the extension for myself (not sure if I set all permissions correctly so I better won't upload):
I made everything owned by root:root exept  tce.installed/  which is owned by root:staff and this folders permission set to 775 (drwxrwxr-x) which was 755 before (by looking at /tmp/tcloop/python/.../.../tce.installed/).

Error message is gone. Terminal is pretty again.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 12:57:18 AM »
Updated to 2.7.6 and fixed permission. Hope it works now, please check.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Misalf

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 04:20:22 AM »
With the updated python.tcz I do not get the error message anymore. Thanks bmarkus.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)