WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to install CorePlus without deleting my Windows XP  (Read 9295 times)

Offline theYinYeti

• YetI web site
Re: How to install CorePlus without deleting my Windows XP
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 04:43:53 AM »
I never had any problem resizing a Windows partition of any version, using the procedure I gave above.
I never had to tweak any hibernate/swap settings in Windows. And the things, whatever they are, that remain at the end of the partition after a couple of defragmentations never were a problem for the subsequent shrinking of the partition by gparted.
But then, of course, YMMV…

Offline Misalf

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »
It might not necessarily prevent the originally installed OS from getting damaged by removing very big files before defragging for later resizing of the the partition.
But it might be a good idea to do so if it's about windows and it's intended to stay as functional as possible.
In several tutorials around the web it's often told that a pagefile should be placed at the beginning of the first partition because read/write acces is faster. Anyway, that benefit in speed disappears if the pagefile has not a fixed size and gets continuously resized by the OS because the pagefile itself gets fragmented which reduces acces speed.
The hibernation file is, IIRC, as big as the installed amount of RAM wich can be quite big and doesn't make it easier to find a nice spot on the disk to place a pagefile.

Its easy to say "My linux installation is much faster than my Win installation" if the latter has been messed up.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 07:45:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  This is making me want to fiddle with the my most recent HMD PC.    :)
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar