WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: why do you leave TinyCoreLinux and where do u go after?  (Read 44509 times)

Offline jls

why do you leave TinyCoreLinux and where do u go after?
« on: October 05, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
Thanx
dCore user

Offline thane

Re: why do you leave TinyCoreLinux and where do u go after?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »
Well, your questions will be difficult to answer if the people who leave don't read/post here anymore...

There were a few posts a little while ago from someone who finally said he was moving on. I think he was a new Linux user basically looking for an out-of-the-box distro, which TC really isn't. I myself might have found TC discouraging (this was 4 years ago) if it was the first Linux distro I had tried. Due to a couple of hardware issues it took me some time to get things working right. I stuck with it because I really like the philosophy behind TC (customization and file safety) but if I'd just been looking for a quick Linux experience I may well have moved on too.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:32:09 PM by thane »

Offline jls

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:02:32 AM »
I'd like this post to be sticky. thx
dCore user

Offline cpoakes

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:14:52 AM »
I leave and come back all the time.  Being modular and small are valuable in creating bootable CDs and USB Flash drives.  So I frequently experiment with TC, and almost used it as the basis for a turnkey "test and clone" system.  Almost.  Instead, I added my scripts to  Patrick Verner's Parted Magic which gave me the preconfigured OS plus a set of related and useful applications in a CD-sized package.

My daily driver for years has been the minimalist  CrunchBang.  It has evolved with so many customizations that moving to standard Debian Wheezy made more sense when CrunchBang also moved to wheezy.  I am still an Openbox/Tint2/Conky fan, and can squeeze my wheezy installation onto 4GB.  Lately I am back at TinyCore for the dCore project (small, modular, AND based on Debian) to see if I can recreate my desktop to a smaller USB Flash drive or maybe even a CD.

I have also like Porteus 2.1, and managed to recreate much of my Debian desktop installation in 600MB.  But being based on Slackware, there are fewer pre-compiled packages.  To get what I want frequently requires building it myself.  But I am lazy and only willing to do this for one or two packages.  I prefer "off-the-shelf" packages so I don't have to debug the builds or keep up with updated sources.  For the moment I have drifted away from Porteus, but recommend it nonetheless.  It is compact, modular, can be loaded entirely in RAM, and compatible with the all Slackware (Slackware/Slacky/Salix/Alien) repos.

Offline hiro

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 02:18:31 AM »
They got on de bus, that fell into the udev on which they floated straight into the systemdhell.

If I want my everyday system to be clean, small, fast-moving, but also stable (this means being able to install the latest shiny crap software without polluting my lean base system) tinycore it is.

Two days ago I set up a wifi repeater on some ARM architecture with debian squeeze. After the actual install all I had to do was add 3 packages and creating two config files. As I will never touch the system again this was the most simple choice for me. On the other hand: If I had to do this install frequently I would use tinycore, because with the gigabytes-big default install it takes AGES to install debian on a flash disk. In this case I had enough time so it didn't matter.

Offline AmatCoder

• AmatCoder Projects
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 11:09:17 AM »
I take this opportunity to salute and congratulate you all for 5.0 version... (I still read forum occasionally)

I switched to Alpine Linux a time ago...
Alpine Linux has advantages and disadvantages over TinyCore but the main reason was I like/need a standardized process of building and maintaining extensions (like Arch/pkgbuild).
Either way, I still think that TinyCore is a great distribution.

Regards to all.

Edit: Also, I would like to apologize to Zendrael and manit123 for unread PM.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:18:12 AM by AmatCoder »

Offline jls

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 12:24:10 PM »
I take this opportunity to salute and congratulate you all for 5.0 version... (I still read forum occasionally)

I switched to Alpine Linux a time ago...
Alpine Linux has advantages and disadvantages over TinyCore but the main reason was I like/need a standardized process of building and maintaining extensions (like Arch/pkgbuild).
Either way, I still think that TinyCore is a great distribution.

Regards to all.

Edit: Also, I would like to apologize to Zendrael and manit123 for unread PM.
Alpine Linux is a community-developed operating system designed for x86 Routers, Firewalls, VPNs, VoIP and servers.
Tinycore is a °normal° distro so why have u changed_
dCore user

Offline AmatCoder

• AmatCoder Projects
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
As you can read here: http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_Linux:Overview
Note: As the About page says, Alpine is "designed for x86 Routers, Firewalls, VPNs, VoIP and servers." But it's a perfectly workable desktop system, too. The shortcomings just have to do with the small community, and that sometimes you may need to get your hands dirty modifying scripts written with more mainstream desktop distros in mind.

I use openbox but it also has kde, gnome, xfce4, fluxbox, pekwm, awesome... and enlightenment  ;)

You can see all packages available here:

Offline althalus

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
There were two reasons I occasionally bounced off tinycore.

#1 - Kernel version. I frequently wanted to do things with newer kernels. Most recently, proper HDMI support for my graphics card required a newer kernel. It's easier and less troublesome to just switch to say, arch linux than try to build and look after my own custom kernel. (5.0 has a new enough kernel that I doubt this will be an issue again for a while, which made me quite glad :) )

#2 - I do a lot of development work in scripting languages, or languages that have their own "special" package management - python, node, go, etc. TBH, these languages don't really fit well with core's philosophy. Development in python isn't so bad - set up a virtualenv on some sort of persistent medium, and go to - but I'd love a way to (easily) install something from pypi system-wide and have it persist across reboots. (This is actually a discussion I'd love to have if anyone has any input)

Oh, and there is actually a #3: it's proven bloody well impossible for me to work out how to get a working Haskell installation.

Offline nick65go

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »
I run on Arch linux 64 bits with Openbox on my PC daily, and have TC 5 as a backup/recovery.  (But I am not pleased with Arch direction forward systemd). I like a 64 bits system to run Qemu (and a custom TC 64 version under it), and the new 3.11 kernel provides dynamic power states for my ATI X1400 graphic card, even with some trouble to patch/recompile OSS (open sound system).

Future? Aboriginal linux; it has kernel 3.11, toybox (small/smarter version of busybox) and I hope for musl (instead of glibc).
Why? Because the future is for ARM tablets, PC era is going underway in some (10?) years, Android is linux based (still closed source); And I would love a device with a customisable TC type kernel.

I keep going back here to watch/test the TC advanced ideas, because I dislike bloated/fat systems.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 01:26:09 AM »
Small correction, X1400 is a r500, the DPM is only for newer generations. You won't need the 3.11 kernel for power savings, that work doesn't apply to those older cards.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline slkpg

• SLK Parser Generator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »
Lubuntu 12.04 non-pae net install (28M image) because it is the only distro that fully supports my video. Still love TC, and I install lubuntu like micro core, then add drivers, X, jwm, and opera. But my real system is the win 7 that came with the netbook. Best version since win98 SE, which is the last one I used.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:16:21 PM »
For now I do not know alternatives to tinycore and so do not think I'll change my distro, but the reason to do so would:
* non-optimal package management system (also amat coder sayd)
* development team too small to provide enough support
* sporadic closure on the proposals/requests of community

Offline Misalf

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »
Several hours a day I'm sitting in front of a PCs since more than a decade now but I just recently got caught by Linux. I tryed several distros and kinda ran away from one to another due to bloating installs so I tryed smaller ones. I have also tryed TC some time ago but at that time it seemed to me like a useless proof of concept for nerds.
The Linux I 'would' switch to if I'd leave TC now is probably Puppy.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 10:52:26 PM »
For now I do not know alternatives to tinycore and so do not think I'll change my distro, but the reason to do so would:
* non-optimal package management system (also amat coder sayd)
* development team too small to provide enough support
* sporadic closure on the proposals/requests of community

What do you mean non-optimal?

What kind of support are you missing?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."