WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: why do you leave TinyCoreLinux and where do u go after?  (Read 44520 times)

Offline beerstein

Re: why do you leave TinyCoreLinux and where do u go after?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2016, 02:06:34 AM »
One never leaves TCL You always find a use for special tasks, especially on diskless systems and older PCs.
As a newbee you also can learn a lot by using TCL. If you are looking for a complete system environment,  Debian and/or
Mint are your best bets.
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline chattrhand

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »
No, I will NOT leave TinyCoreLinux, it has too many features that make it unique:
- Ease to install it even multiple on the same stick for special purposes,
- Very short time to boot and rundown, even from pendrive, and with persistence
- Ease to update all of its extensions, even with older tc releases

With TinyCore-7.x I am running on Problems. some of them have a workaround but not all, I hope they will be fixed.

I tried Puppy, but was not very happy.

Now I found Slitaz rolling, for both 32bit and 64bit CPU. You get an  .iso of a "frozen state" every month.
After booting (very fast) you can update your system with all of the packets newer than the ,iso state.
This can take some minutes and,- the fun of a rolling release,- the packets are usable immediately.
The RAM consumption increases to about 100 MB (on my systems); SWAP partitions will be used.

While updating you can use the onboard midori browser; after finishing the packet update you can add the recent firefox official or -ESR, and there is a huge number of additional software in the repository.

This update has to be done at every reboot. And actually I've only found a narrow way for data persistence, and access to mass memory like hdd or pendrives.

The docu is a bit confusing, so I did not get to the bottom actually.
TinyCore, SliTaz, LinuxMint, Tails, Mac ...

Offline ulfr

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »

I agree Tinycore is unique and awesome

In my opinion It is the best designed linux distro there is period
   and  I have tried just about all of them

I don't post much because everything works great for me
   but I would like the people that make Tinycore to know I appreciate their work

thanks again

ulfr

Offline FruityComputers

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »
It turns out that my original copy of puppy was no good so I burnt another and this one boots up on my CF-28 and I have sound   :o I can run it in high resolution too. I'm quite chuffed with that. Puppy Linux will now be its main OS if everything goes to plan figures crossed... I installed it to the hard drive but made a mistake when I installed the grub boot loader so I've got to start again, hopefully I'll get lucky the second time.  I was mainly just looking for a graphical desktop environment for this specific laptop for basic use.

This doesn't mean I've abandoned Tiny Core I have installed Tiny Core on another laptop as it does interest me and I hope to learn more about as I go along.

Offline FruityComputers

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2016, 10:49:41 AM »
Sorry posted in the wrong thread  ???

Offline thane

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2016, 01:13:26 PM »
"posted in the wrong thread"

Not really; it's on topic.

Puppy Linux (actually several versions) was the first distro I got to work when I started trying Linux. It was very encouraging and actually worked better on the old PC I was using than Tiny Core did initially. I moved on to Tiny Core because of its customization features, but had some sound card issues that took a while to resolve and that would have been very frustrating if TC was the first Linux distro I was trying. That said, I'm happy with TC now and hope you'll keep using it too.

Offline freyone

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2016, 12:33:21 AM »
it may be more interesting why do you come here?

Offline jls

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2016, 02:20:13 AM »
I think you are right
dCore user

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »
it may be more interesting why do you come here?

So how about it, folks.  Why -do- you come here?

I'll start:

To these forums, because Team Tiny Core and the community overall are just awesome.  Knowledgeable, helpful, friendly.

To Tiny Core in general,  pretty much as described in the Welcome, Intro and Core Concepts pages:
  • I like the design principles
  • It's tiny
  • It's simple
  • It's fast
  • It's "clean"
  • I don't have to remove a bunch of junk before I start adding my own junk
  • Did I mention the team and the community?  A huge "Thank you" to all.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline hiro

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2016, 10:18:04 AM »
that's what most people have been concentrating on anyway, me included.
the reasons are obvious: tinycore doesn't startle me.
yesterday i got startled by unity on some ubuntu, and cause i got so stressed out it took me over 10 minutes to apt-get remove it, due to automatic dependency fixings.

aus9

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2016, 06:24:03 AM »
Hi

just saw this post so add my 2 cents worth. People do not always leave for some kind of software reason. umm the main reasons I have left in past, still haunt me today....my coding skills and communications could improve.

##############
ignoring me can I offer other reasons.

1) Sometimes people are given a work computer and its easier for them to learn it quicker if there other computers are converted to the same distro.

2) specific hardware to software Linux support. On another forum, a person heard of a a fancy laptop sold with Ubuntu variant already pre-installed.......and the drivers (kernel modules) were or are AFAIK some kind of third party and are not forced to be
license GPL MIT etc.....so to use some of the hardware, they are "forced" to use certain software.

I am guessing the hardware was or still is so new, other distros would struggle to install and have all the hardware enabled.

I don't mind if you dispute this claim as long as you could accept such agreements between hardware vendors and software companies can and do occur from time to time.

eg router vendors tend to use a particular type of software altho I lack the skills to know what distro mine is using under it shell.

I have seen a propriety type system.....that showed Linux was booting up before the fancy graphics locked us into a few choices.

3) out of the box experience.
Sorry if this seems obvious but I suspect the main reason why people go to Ubuntu and other such distros is because they may be ex-windows users and just want to click a button and it automagically works. I am pretty sure most of us have seen this before.
---I am not suggesting such users are good bad .....they are entitled to their views....I merely offer it as a reason why people leave.

hope I have not offended anyone.

Offline hiro

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2016, 08:12:52 AM »
and yet again i'm still using tinycore
but if i wanted something to switch to i made some nice experiences with void linux. can't say that about anything else i've used in the meantime (since starting with tinycore). if you like rolling release and want a simple system installed to disk in the traditional sense and with the common packages most people need it's quite nice. there's even an option to use the musl libc there, which i find marvelous.

Offline hiro

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »
@aus9: I think anyone who comes from windows to tinycore must have chosen tinycore specifically to avoid the crappy experiences they get out of the box on windows/ubuntu. It's not like tinycore is shiny or does anything to attract the people who are attending those "year of the linux desktop" convetions: So whoever comes here should know pretty well what jobs are easier done on tinycore than some bloated, hard-to-configure, badly working, monolithic enterprise software :P

Offline ulfr

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2016, 08:25:19 AM »

Hi all

I have followed tinycore since it was dsl
    It has now matured to the point where I use it as my primary distro 
    Its true that a lot of people just want something they don't have to (and can't) mess with 
    but a lot of people still use windows
    I'm sure most people don't know tinycore exists or the power and elegance of it
    However once you are aware of it no other distro even comes close 
    That's why its good to try to spread the word
    Personally I just really appreciate that tinycore exists
    because though I was able to envision it
    I didn't have the expertise to make a useful system

Thanks again to all the people who made tinycore
    its a masterpiece 

ulfr

Offline aneverydayhumanuser

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2020, 05:48:51 AM »
Because of SEVERE lack of easy-to-understand documentation. This OS has been built for nerds and normal users can really feel this. The wiki, the book, no easy step-by-step instructions.

If you want to do something very basic, then tough luck for you, you won't be able to do it If you aren't a developer.

Also, this community doesn't seem to understand that some people are LITERALLY computer illiterate and don't even know what a web browser is. If you don't guide them very carefully, they won't be able to do a damn thing.

Hell, even people who know about computers but are kind of new to this OS can be lost.

No one listen to the community here, a lot of people complained that the captchas were unreadable for instance and no one gives a damn about this.

Also, some members of this community can be very rude at times.

So much wasted potential for this OS.

I will come back to tiny core linux, the day where we will be able to have PROPER documentation that can be read by HUMANS.

In other words: The OS itself/the code is good, the environment surrounding it (documentation, community, support etc) is DISGUSTING.