WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Getting started?  (Read 13853 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Getting started?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »
I'll check into xorg tonight, though it is working fine here and I re-imported it yesterday.

Offline thane

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 03:11:43 PM »
Thanks Jason. It's entirely possible that something is wrong with my setup (always my first assumption), but it's interesting that theYinYeti is seeing a similar issue.

edit: What the hey. Re-imported xorg-all without changing anything else and re-booted. Got a desktop! Still had error messages during boot, tcWbarConf button on the Control Panel was dimmed, and wbar had 2 xterminal [sp?] icons, along with an "Import" icon and the usual TC ones. Will try playing with this and see what develops.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:40:36 PM by thane »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
Sounds normal for this stage of rc.

Two X terms one is UXTerm - unicode the other is normal XTerm
tc-wbarconf is there will investigate why it is greyed on control panel. You can run from Xterm.
Many boot messages are displayed and  can be ignored.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline theYinYeti

• YetI web site
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 11:52:33 PM »
Umm… I'll try and re-import xorg again, then. I'll do this on the real laptop this time, just in case it might help…
Have a nice day :)

Offline theYinYeti

• YetI web site
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »
No matter how many times I try, xorg-all is still a failure. But if I load-sce xorg-all and startx without rebooting, then xorg does start and work. That is, after I have run “chown root:root /tmp/.X*”.

As soon as I restart, I get that dreaded “can't run '/sbin/getty': No such file or directory” message :(
Even though I don’t see a clear relation between the message and the following “explanation”, do you think it could be because dCore is trying to auto-launch X11 upon auto-login, then X11 fails to start because of the permissions in /tmp/, then login tries again to auto-launch X11, and so on in a loop? What do you think?

And you, how do you handle this problem with permissions in /tmp/ when launching “startx”?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
What is your permission on /tmp

Should be: drwxrwxrwt  root.staff  /tmp
No change. Same as Core native.

Offline theYinYeti

• YetI web site
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 01:41:08 PM »
Sorry roberts, I used the wrong word. It's not a permissions issue, but rather a owner issue. /tmp is OK. It is /tmp/.X… (I don't remember the exact name) that is wrongly owned. It is owned by tc:staff whereas startx expect this directory to be  owned by root:root.
Just to leave no doubt, my dCore is completely unmodified. I took vmlinuz and dCore.gz from the ISO file, and put them on my USB pendrive. Then I just created an entry for them in my grub.cfg (Grub2).

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
dCore-install is now available. Use the typical import command to fetch.
dCore-install is a command line script to aid in installing dCore to pendives and frugal hard drive.
It it dervived from tc-install so operation is quite similiar. Tested zip, hdd, and frugal.
As with any installation program proceed with caution as specifying the wrong drive/partition can ruin your day.

Offline theYinYeti

• YetI web site
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 12:10:11 AM »
This is a good idea, roberts! I will try this. Thank you.