WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: 5.x Design Guidelines  (Read 53294 times)

Offline Misalf

Re: 5.x Design Guidelines
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »
The reason I joined this topic is that I hope to see some examples on how to change the default look of the stuff included in TC.
I personally try to keep the weight low.

TC is my main Linux (yes) because it's lightweight and does not include all those just-in-case programms which I probably never use. I don't know why others use TC but it might just be the modularity or portability and it's still possible to install a fancy, resource heavy WM/DE and stuff running in the background as it's a totally legit OS.

Anyway, I still like the low-resource and tool theme idea.

Here is my progress of an alternate Screw-Core icon (see attachments).
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
The reason I joined this topic is that I hope to see some examples on how to change the default look of the stuff included in TC.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,7853
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Zendrael

• Zendrael's home of projects
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 05:21:11 AM »
@Misalf,
could you try to make the icons more clear? I liked it.

Offline theYinYeti

• YetI web site
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 07:19:22 AM »
Hi,
I answer a bit late in this topic. I'll try and answer to everything at once...

@Zendrael:

I agree that Core themes should be kept minimalistic, so that Core remains Tiny ;) The current balance is good in my opinion: rather plain, but with a logo and wbar so as not to be too plain. And I like the logo and the background.
Please no bootsplash! Or as a separate (additional and facultative) initramfs.gz.

I don't think 3D themes are a good idea: they add bevels, borders, and so on, and waste screen estate, in this day and age when we have smaller screens than we used too (mobile computing). Besides, other desktop environments and web sites are shifting to flat themes, away from 3D.

I don't have an opinion on the icons, and I usually just use Tango, although I like to try something else once in a while.

From the window managers that are supported by TC's onboot/ondemand system, I prefer Fluxbox, but then, I like the default red+gray theme (I don't remember the name) well enough: it's small and nice looking.

I think GTK should be prefered over Qt, not because it is better, but because from recent tests I can tell that GTK apps tend to use less memory. On the other hand, the current unfinished shift to Gtk3 makes it mandatory to have both Gtk2 and Gtk3 (but the same could be told about Qt, with Qt5 coming).

@Misalf: I don't agree that Compiz effects are only resources-wasting eye-candy. I find many of them extremely productive! For example, I use the window transparency a lot, to do things in a window while following instructions in another window (bellow). I also use a lot the "exposé", and the zoom-in/out of windows, and the tabs!

I'm not much of an artist, and I'll leave that to others. In short, my opinion is that a good balance has to be found so that Core 5 remains tiny; I agree with Misalf on this.
And the "toolbox" idea is good.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 09:24:47 AM »
Thanks for the link tinypoodle.
I wish there would be more resources for FLTK to easily change its look without recompiling but that might something to try in the future.

BTW, I have to use
Code: [Select]
*selectBackground: colorbecause
Code: [Select]
fltk*selectBackground: colorhas no effect.

Zendrael, yes I'll try.

theYinYeti, My short play time with compiz wasn't enough for knowing all its feauters that go beyond eye candy though I figured I just want fluxbox. You're not using compiz together with fluxbox, or are you?

Offline theYinYeti

• YetI web site
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 12:48:56 PM »
You're not using compiz together with fluxbox, or are you?
(sorry, offtopic, so I'll be quick) Impossible: these are conflicting window managers ;)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »
I sharpened the screw icon just a little bit.

I'm not quite able to create a metal like look.
I could provide the GIMP session .xcf file if anyone is interested in tweaking the icons.

(old)
(new)

Offline byteshaman

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »
i made a lil prototype of what i was visualizing in my head :

http://byteshaman.us/tc/

its a tiny core desktop with a fisheye list, and some floating windows. i've only tested it in mozilla firefox.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »
Haha. Not my tase but nice idea.

The close button on your windows makes me want to make window buttons out of that screws a made.
- + x

Offline Zendrael

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 10:33:38 AM »
@byteshaman
nice work but I think it doen't have much to do with the Core principles discussed (a toolkit, modular, extendable distro...) besides it is simple. How about some more work on the logo?

@Misalf
how about to do more simple icons? Let the app icons represent what they do and apply the screw ideas to the logo.

I liked the ElementaryOS BETA wallpaper (the blueprint): http://i.imgur.com/89v1S.jpg

Attached is my desktop with a flat theme and Faenza icons. The AwOken ones did not fit well...

Offline byteshaman

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 10:58:54 AM »
its going to be pretty difficult for you all to create graphic representations of all these brand campaign suggestions. its possible, but the level of difficulty needed for achievement is above what could be classified as "simple, small, compact". i'm still following along, but you have my input.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2013, 10:57:05 AM »
@ Zendrael
I confused (:
You mean more icons or simpler icons?
Leaving the wbar icons as they are and only editing that hexagon screw into the logo?

I'll try to edit the logo.

--

That wallpaper is great.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:58:56 AM by Misalf »

Offline Zendrael

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »
Hi Misalf!

I was thinking in simpler icons!

I'll try to do something like the wallpaper with the logo to test. Will port back here as soon as possible!

Offline Zendrael

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2013, 08:35:20 AM »
Hi all!

Attached is the wallpaper with the logo that I came up with. It is in small size because of the attachment size limitation of the forum.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2013, 08:42:52 AM »
png format could likely result in smaller size and better quality, compared to jpg.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)