WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: 5.x vlc and qt-4 --almost starts gui----starts in cli  (Read 13300 times)

Offline abcdefg

Re: 5.x vlc and qt-4 --almost starts gui----starts in cli
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »
I just tested ALSA on TinyCore 5.3 and something seems to be different, since I don't have sound there. I've tested on this hardware: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-d525mw.html

A: After booting TinyCore 4.7.7 CorePlus iso image to command line and installing alsa.tcz and mpg123.tcz via the tce command, I can immediately play sound with mpg123.
B: After booting TinyCore 4.7.7 CorePlus iso image to command line and installing oss.tcz and mpg123.tcz via the tce command, I can immediately play sound with mpg123.
C: After booting TinyCore 5.3 CorePlus iso image to command line and installing alsa.tcz and mpg123.tcz via the tce command, I cannot play sound with mpg123.
D: After booting TinyCore 5.3 CorePlus iso image to command line and installing oss.tcz and mpg123.tcz via the tce command, I can immediately play sound with mpg123.

So, curiously, A works but C doesn't. Is there anything I need to configure to make it work? Where would I have to look? At the moment, since the VLC extension in TinyCore 5.3 doesn't have the OSS output module anymore, VLC doesn't play sound.

Offline abcdefg

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »
Rebuilt VLC. When OSS plugin enabled compilation fails, so it is disabled still. Now opus files played back. After few days testing will add to repo if everything goes well.

It looks like the day after you built this, new libav versions were published that have security related fixes. Might be worth updating to one of these. Thanks for adding Opus support!

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 02:37:05 AM »
C: After booting TinyCore 5.3 CorePlus iso image to command line and installing alsa.tcz and mpg123.tcz via the tce command, I cannot play sound with mpg123.

What cannot play means? Do you get error message in the terminal or it looks ok but no sound? In later case check mixer settings, probably master channle is muted or set to 0 level. Use alsamixer.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Misalf

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 06:06:14 AM »
So, curiously, A works but C doesn't. Is there anything I need to configure to make it work?

Yes.
Code: [Select]
sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasound start

Where would I have to look?

Read ALSAs extension info via Apps tool.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline abcdefg

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 04:55:31 AM »
What cannot play means? Do you get error message in the terminal or it looks ok but no sound? In later case check mixer settings, probably master channle is muted or set to 0 level. Use alsamixer.

It looked OK but I got no sound. Checking the mixer levels again helped. I had played with the mixer settings before, increasing the master level from a default of zero, but didn't realize that it was then still muted. Sound is now audible.

Offline abcdefg

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 05:03:27 AM »
So, curiously, A works but C doesn't. Is there anything I need to configure to make it work?
Yes.
Code: [Select]
sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasound start

This wasn't necessary, since I did not reboot. The problem was my failure to identify a mixer setting as muted.