WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Scrolling commands not working, after getting desktop up on 5.01 and 5.02  (Read 3927 times)

Offline myupctoys

Yeah I know jumping the gun but having way too much fun with TCL.

Moved bits and pieces across from 4.x and seems to work for the most part. Only irritation is scrolling commands in the command shell has been clobbered. Otherwise works fine. Just have to be sure of the command line entries, no scrolling isn't very forgiving.

SSH works so least first thing checked off for me. Next FTP, then VNC maybe.

I know enough to know I don't know enough to fix :-( Any idea what to prod to get command scrolling back

Hey good progress though. Compile Essentials working.

Cheers
Stefan

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Scrolling commands not working, after getting desktop up on 5.01 and 5.02
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:53:44 AM »
Stefan,

do you mean certain keys which are not working? If so, on the keyboard attached to the USB or remote via SSH?

Bela
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline myupctoys

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
Hi BMarkus,

Local for the moment, when I get it running with ssh again will let you know. Seem to remember yesterday it was broken remotely with ssh as well but wasn't focusing on it. 

Locally, Scrolling through previous commands with the up down arrow keys doesn't work. Basically I looked at the files that made 4.x with desktop and copied same to 5.02A. Scrolling works with 5.02A as downloaded with pure command prompt but adding the assorted files for desktop from 4.x got the desktop happening but scrolling stopped.

Otherwise seems perfect. 

Stefan

Offline myupctoys

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 04:40:45 PM »
BMarkus,

Asked someone else and he suggested to consider whatever happening the command line may only be looking at pure ASCII but extended codes being ignored. Not that makes me any the wiser but sounds plausible given some extended keystrokes are different from others.

Guess could try adding one file at a time till it falls over but could be still hit and miss given would need at least a number of files before the desktop even worked.

Stefan

Offline myupctoys

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
Bmarkus,

Ha, played a bit more. Booted up to desktop. Terminal doesn't scroll. Exited out of desktop to command prompt and the scrolling works. startx again and the scrolling doesn't work in terminal. So 5.02A itself is fine.

BTW also edited a file in notepad and arrow keys don't work there either. So it's related to recognizing the arrow keys as a whole not any specific application.

Stefan

Offline myupctoys

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »
Home and End as well, seems pretty much anything beyond the normal ascii set.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 08:42:49 PM »
I wouldn't know about any particularities with Raspberry Pi, but if you have "xev" available, that could help with diagnostics.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline myupctoys

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »
Hi,

Yeah xev is on Raspbian but not TCL. Not as a tcz download either. Guess can compile now so maybe I'll ferret out the source. Problem isn't keyboard specific as been tried on at least three keyboard between a number of us.

Stefan

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 11:57:25 PM »
. Booted up to desktop.

What does it mean, what dis you install?
Béla

Offline myupctoys

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »
Bmarkus,

Tiny Core Linux 5.02a has the issue I'm speaking of. There was simply mention of xev, tests event codes for mouse and keyboard thats all, and that is in the Raspbian distro. Tried to compile xev from the sources for TCL but few to many issues to configure, presumably relying on dependencies in the Raspbian distro that don't exist in the TCL.

Seems 5.02a command line works fine but after copying files in the 4.x desktop distro to 5.x distro kills the scrolling in the resultant desktop. Command line for 5.x still works after logging out. 4.x distro when copied to 5.x distro refuses to see key events other than normal ascii characters. Only thing I've got left is "diff" the configuration files between the two distros in case I changed something inadvertently.

Cheers
Stefan

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:10:04 AM »
Still you did not answer what desktop you are talking about.
Béla

Offline myupctoys

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
Bmarkus,

Sorry didn't understand the question. Copied the files in cde/optional this distro

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/armv6/piCore-X-beta20130324.img.gz

to 5.02A. So the desktop that comes with 4.x. Surprisingly it works really quite well other than the extended keyboard functions.

Stefan

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 12:16:19 AM »
Stefan

thanks for trying, good to hear it works. 4.x has Xorg-7.6 while 5.0 will come with Xorg-7.7 Also there are some changes in basic image libs so there are 4.x programs which will not work with 5.0 similar to x86 version.

Xorg-7.7 is already in test phase, will be released soon as well as rebuilt extensions.

Stay tuned!

Bela

Béla