WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core v5.0rc1  (Read 57619 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Core v5.0rc1
« on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:36 AM »
The first release candidate of Tiny Core v5.0 is now posted and ready for testing.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/5.x/x86/release_candidates

Change log:
rc1
* Updated kernel to 3.8.10 with (u)efi boot enabled
* Updated eglibc to glibc-2.17
* Updated e2fsprogs base libs to 1.42.7
* Updated gcc base libs to 4.7.2
* Updated util-linux base libs to 2.23.1
* option to use vmlinuz + rootfs.gz + modules.gz or vmlinuz64 + rootfs.gz + modules64.gz (where boot loader permits)
* aterm, freetype, imlib2, jpeg and libpng factored out of Xlibs/Xprogs and will need to be downloaded as extensions
* scm extensions have been dropped from this release
* localhost.local domain added to /etc/hosts, /usr/bin/sethostname for avahi compatibility/libcups printing
* 50-udev-default.rules adjusted to allow rw access to /dev/rfkill

Notes:
* due to significant changes in Xlibs and Xprogs it is recommeded to make these for deletion, reboot and re-download.
* due to significant changes from Xorg-7.6* to Xorg-7.7*  it is recommeded to make these for deletion, reboot and re-download.
* due to the updates to libpng in particular, many tc-4.x gui extensions will not work in tc-5.x.
* Xorg-7.7 is now compiled against libxcb enabling gtk3
* Once 4.x extensions are confirmed working under tc-5.x they can be copied to the tc-5.x repo

Testing and feedback is welcomed

Offline meo

Re: Core v5.0rc1
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 02:52:52 AM »
Hi Juanito!

Have tried both CorePlus and TinyCore images. CorePlus doesn't work properly. Wifi doesn't work and if I use a wired connection trying to download extensions it just says nameofextension failed. The TinyCore image works as supposed as far as I can see in the initial tests but the 915resolution doesn't work. My findings so far. Thanks for the work the team is putting in. Hope this is of any help.

Have fun making TC progressing,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58:54 AM »
I use a wired connection trying to download extensions it just says nameofextension failed.
same here, using tce-ab works for downloading extensions.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:39:54 PM »
On 5.0alpha (all versions) I leave 915resolution onboot and it works on machines that need it, otherwise if not onboot all I get is a blank screen, obviously..

Have not tried yet on 5.0rc1

Offline meo

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »
Hi coreplayer2!

I have 915resolution set onboot but it doesn't give me the right resolution. I made a hack in .xsession and changed the resolution there from 1024x768 to 1024x600 but it still doesn't give me the right resolution in TC 5.0.rc1. Can't think of something else to do. Grateful for any hints since I've never had this problem before. The 915resolution works just well in TC 4.7.7.

Kind regards,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 06:14:42 AM »
.. CorePlus doesn't work properly. Wifi doesn't work and if I use a wired connection trying to download extensions it just says nameofextension failed.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll try have a look at this in a couple of days when I have my cd/dvd drive back

Offline chattrhand

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
Hi guys,

TinyCore v5.0rc1 is the first release where alsaconf detects the intel 82801H soundcard on my iMac and on my MacMini correctly.

My Non-Apple computers never had problems with sound on TinyCore, but now this finally works with Apple too. GREAT!

chattrhand
TinyCore, SliTaz, LinuxMint, Tails, Mac ...

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 03:20:57 PM »
Xorg-7.7-lib.tcz in the 5.0/x86/tcz repo does not seem to have a .list file.

I don't -need- it, but my handy dandy new-rc-downloader script tries to grab it and, by design, bitches when it can't do so.  And the apps browser fails to list anything in the Files tab.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:54:01 PM »
Xorg-7.7-lib is a meta-extension - i.e. it doesn't contain any files, but refers to a collection of extensions (see dep file)

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 12:43:23 AM »
Well that explains it - no files, no file list.

I hadn't realized that there were no files at all in a meta-extension - assumed there would be at least a stub script or a readme.

Thanks.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 05:17:02 AM »
There might be a readme - I'll check and add a *list if required

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 06:25:41 AM »
No - you were right.  it's empty.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 03:35:24 AM »
I tested the CorePlus iso - the first time I've used this...

So, after burning a cd (finding a blank cd was challenging), I booted and my wired connection seems to work fine with the apps gui - I'm posting this using opera9 "download+load" from the apps gui.

Edit: It's not so obvious for me to test wireless with the CorePlus iso - my hardware will only work with the wl module and requires the boot code "blacklist=bcma,b43,ssb" - the iso does not have this boot code and, whilst b43 and ssb do not load, bcma does, which stops things from working.

I have the feeling that using the boot code above would stop more "linux compliant" hardware from working, but I have no way to test this.

For the errors you saw with the wired connection and the apps gui, since I cannot reproduce this failure it's kind of hard to troubleshoot...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:52:57 AM by Juanito »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 05:44:50 AM »
All three isos, Core, TinyCore, and CorePlus have the exact same initrd, core.gz. It is core.gz which represents the base system therein is the same blacklist processing. Therefore CorePlus blacklist capabilities should be the same as Core and TinyCore.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 05:54:34 AM »
sure - but my point was that we probably wouldn't want the default boot code to blacklist bcma.