WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Linux  (Read 5350 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
Linux
« on: July 23, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
Hi

will your A10 allwinner version of Tinycore work on my allwinner a10 tablet?

My tablet has the "sun4i" or "sunxi" board as its know to the linux community.

It currently has a ROM on it which is android and called "crane" something.

The tablet works fine with android i just wanted to try to get it to boot into
Linux from the external  SD card.

I am not too worried because i have been told that "allwinner" chips are one of the
few that can't be bricked...you can always re-flash the firmware (provided you have a copy
of your Firmware file) by plugging the device into a windows PC over USB and using
the "Live suite" tool.

Also allwinner a10 chips can be booted from USB which is also a good feature. Apparently
using Linux in this manner does not even affect the Host version of ANDROID contained on
the internal nand chip.

The tablet runs at 1.2 ghz cortex a8 and has 1 gig of ram and 8 gigs of SSD.

thanks

V

many thanks

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
Yes it will work on a10/sun4i tablets booting from sdcard. Likely will need your tablet specific script.bin so that output will go to LCD screen and not HDMI. The first "scatter mode" test version of Core from caminati was specifically for a tablet. Later versions of a10Core work as well. Of course you will need usb keyboard/mouse and able to read tiny font on such a small screen. No touch support. Nothing optimized for tablet.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
Re: Linux
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:01:55 PM »
i see

so it seems that even with a standard "sun4i" board and allwinner 10 soc....there is still a need
to further tailor certain "files" that are on the existing droid tablet.  (or find out certain facts
from those files which are hardware specific facts and are different on each "sun4i" device?....LCD's etc?)

in other words...all tablet "sun4i" hardware is different by some tiny aspects

seems unfortunate that this is the case. Otherwise a standard "sun4i" TCL build could
be made for all those types of tablets.

i will look for that file

thanks a lot

Vi