WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TCL with Deadbeef for a newbie  (Read 21519 times)

Offline bibo01

TCL with Deadbeef for a newbie
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
Hi everybody,

This is my first message and I am asking your patience because I am Linux newbie.
I would like to make a dedicated system with TCL and Deadbeef music player connected to my Asus Essence One Muses through USB, which is supported by ALSA.
Ideally I would like to prepare a USB stick with all the goodies on it, so afterwards a general installation would not require internet connection. But let's go one step at a time and assess the system.

On my first and only attempt (for now) I managed to go all the way through up to listening to some music.
I installed TinyCore on a bootable USB pendrive with Rufus and booted on a laptop - no problem.
I setup network for downloading applications.
Browsing for ALSA, many ALSA options appeared - plugins, utilities, TinyCore 64bit.... Which is the correct ALSA application? On my 1st attempt, I downloaded and loaded "alsa.tcz".

Then, I did the same for Deadbeef. Here too there were two options. Which is the correct one? I downloaded "deadbeef.tcz".
I managed to hear some music from my local HD - great! I had problems with upsampling through SRC, but I keep that question for another time.

My third question is how do I save the applications (alsa + deadbeef) locally on the USB pendrive?
In your Quick & Easy Overview you supply the following indications:

"When the desktop appears you will see the window bar on the bottom of the screen. Single click on the icon that looks like a file cabinet; that will open the file manager program.

In the left pane you will see the directory tree. Look for the directory called "mnt/" and if it is not already expanded, click on the + sign just left of it. This will show you the drives connected to your computer.

Your memory stick should be listed as "sda1". Click on sda1 and make sure the the known filename appears in the panel to the right. If it doesn't, then try the other drives listed under "/mnt" (but not fd0) until your filename appears.

In the left panel right click on the drive that your stick is listed as and select "Create directory" from the pop up menu; a box will pop up prompting you for a directory name. Type in "tce/" and hit the enter key. You have just created the directory where TinyCore will save any applications, desktop settings, and files you create. The next time you start your computer TinyCore will automatically find this directory and all your applications will be available to run."

It seems pretty clear. However, booting from a USB pendrive, I cannot see any "file cabinet icon" or any kind of file manager, so I cannot follow the procedure. Any help?!

This is it for now...I do not want to exagerate  :D
I thank you in advance for your help and patience.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: TCL with Deadbeef for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:51:14 PM »
Which is the correct ALSA application? On my 1st attempt, I downloaded and loaded "alsa.tcz".
alsa is the correct extension

Which is the correct one? I downloaded "deadbeef.tcz".
If it worked then I'd stay with this choice

I cannot see any "file cabinet icon" or any kind of file manager, so I cannot follow the procedure. Any help?!
There used to be a file manager included in the base tinycore (fluff) - you can use the apps gui to download and load the fluff extension or  one of the other file managers like emelfm or you can enter the commands to create a tce folder manually from a terminal window:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/tce
$ sudo chown tc:staff /mnt/sda1/tce

Offline bibo01

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 02:14:14 AM »
- Sorry the system for the moment does NOT allow me to quote -

Thanks for your reply.

Your commands:
$ sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/tce
$ sudo chown tc:staff /mnt/sda1/tce

BTW, from the above I did not type "$" because it was already part of terminal prompt. Did I make a mistake?
I have implemented your seggestion using terminal window, but how do I make the setting stick till next power up of the pendrive?
I suppose your answer will apply to all settings I am trying to implement.

Is it possible to save network configuration (my IP) till next power up without re-entering each time?

How do I see/mount my NAS (192.168.0.98) where I keep my music files?

How do I choose an Italian keyboard?

Hopefully with your help I will be able to save ALSA and Deadbeef locally on my pendrive.
Is it possible to have them loading automatically at startup? Do I need a script?
I would like to have Deadbeef among the icons at the bottom, is it possible?

The following questions regard ALSA/Deadbeef:
Can Deadbeef change sample rate on the fly, i.e. if I put a 44.1kHz track and a 96kHz track in the playlist?
Does it depend from ALSA?

If I apply SRC as DSP in the output chain, playback works at the new sample rate. However, it only works on the second selection. The first song I select it plays at the old frequency and it sounds distorted (wrong speed). Is it common? Can it be avoided?

Thanks for your help   

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 02:34:02 AM »
I see you used a third-party installer - using a supported one would have made the tce directory for you (core2usb for Windows users), saving you some time.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bibo01

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 02:42:42 AM »
I see you used a third-party installer - using a supported one would have made the tce directory for you (core2usb for Windows users), saving you some time.
I can always try  ;)
Thanks for the suggestion
I still need to have the settings to "stick" though...  :-[

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 02:49:38 AM »
I have implemented your seggestion using terminal window, but how do I make the setting stick till next power up of the pendrive?
Assuming sda1 is your usb stick then /mnt/sda1/tce will be permanent and the next time you reboot, tinycore will use this folder automatically to store extensions you download.

Is it possible to save network configuration (my IP) till next power up without re-entering each time?
Yes - you need to initiate a backup using the gui cpanel applet (and read the wiki sections on getting started and backup/persistance)

What sort of nas filesystem does it use - nfs, cifs or?

How do I choose an Italian keyboard?
Have a look at the wiki and search the forum for the answer

Is it possible to have them loading automatically at startup? Do I need a script?
No need for a script - use the apps gui to set the extensions "onboot" or "ondemand"

Offline bibo01

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 03:12:01 AM »
What sort of nas filesystem does it use - nfs, cifs or?

I have a Synology DS110j

Thanks, I will start studying the wiki  8)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 03:51:28 AM »
I have a Synology DS110j

As per the data sheet, this supports both cifs (samba extension) and nfs (nfs extension) - it will also work as dlna and iTunes server, so you don't need to mount the drive to play music files, you just need a daap or dlna client

Offline bibo01

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:15:02 AM »
I have a Synology DS110j

As per the data sheet, this supports both cifs (samba extension) and nfs (nfs extension) - it will also work as dlna and iTunes server, so you don't need to mount the drive to play music files, you just need a daap or dlna client
I do not want daap or dlna client. I would like to be able to see and open my files on the NAS from Deadbeef.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 06:32:56 AM »
OK, so are your music files on an nfs or cifs partition on your nas?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 07:42:21 AM »
Hi bibo01
If you don't know, install  findshares.tcz. Then enter  findshares  in a terminal and hopefully that will tell you.

Offline bibo01

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »
Good question!  :-\

Looking in NAS System Information I can see that nfs service is not enabled. Windows File and Mac File Services are enabled.
I dare saying it's cifs  ::)

I read that for my needs I need to implement the following bootcodes:
opt=sda1
home=sda1
kmap=qwerty/it

How do I implement bootcodes?

...thanks for your patience

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 08:10:08 AM »
Looking in NAS System Information I can see that nfs service is not enabled. Windows File and Mac File Services are enabled.
You could try this:
$ sudo mkdir /mnt/music
$ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.98 /mnt/music -o user=username,pass=password

You might need to load the filesystems-KERNEL and cifs-utils extensions

I read that for my needs I need to implement the following bootcodes:
opt=sda1
home=sda1
kmap=qwerty/it

How do I implement bootcodes?
I would not use opt=sda1 or home=sda1 at this stage, but suggest you initiate a backup using the gui cpanel applet

For bootcodes see the relevant wiki section

Offline bibo01

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »
Baby steps...

You could try this:
$ sudo mkdir /mnt/music
$ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.98 /mnt/music -o user=username,pass=password

You might need to load the filesystems-KERNEL and cifs-utils extensions
I tried the above but the 2nd line gives me the following error message:
mounting //192.168.0.98 on /mnt/music failed.

I checked address and user/pw, they are the same I use to access NAS with IE, so they are correct.
Do I have to access NAS at root level? Because eventually user/pw is different
The directory on my NAS that I want to acces is /volume1/public and now it can be accessed through NFS too.
I tried to substitute "nfs" in place of "cifs" - error
I tried to use "//192.168.0.98:/volume1/public" - error

I would not use opt=sda1 or home=sda1 at this stage, but suggest you initiate a backup using the gui cpanel applet

For bootcodes see the relevant wiki section
I am doing my homework but - I assure you - it is not easy...lots of info, terminology, EN is not my main language, etc.

By pressing TAB at boot time I can add "kmap=qwerty/it" and it works fine. However, is there any way to make the change permanent?

I need some help with ALSA, please.
If I use no DSP in Deadbeef (no ALSA mixer either), ALSA should take charge during playing back with automatic frequency detection of the file. Instead, the sample rate is always totally random and wrong.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:52:42 PM by bibo01 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 12:06:25 AM »
I tried to use "//192.168.0.98:/volume1/public" - error
That would be:
$ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.98/volume1/public /mnt/music -o user=username,pass=password..without the ":"

By pressing TAB at boot time I can add "kmap=qwerty/it" and it works fine. However, is there any way to make the change permanent
What boot loader are you using? For example with syslinux on a usb stick you pass boot codes like this:
label rootfs
kernel /boot/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/rootfs.gz,/boot/modules.gz
append quiet noswap tce=UUID=18ab07fe-cf1d-4fab-8f96-ed80e00b67cb waitusb=10:UUID=18ab07fe-cf1d-4fab-8f96-ed80e00b67cb host=boxdell text blacklist=bcma,b43,ssb

I need some help with ALSA, please.
If I use no DSP in Deadbeef (no ALSA mixer either), ALSA should take charge during playing back with automatic frequency detection of the file. Instead, the sample rate is always totally random and wrong.
Sorry, but I've no clue about that...