WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: is dCore idea applicable to other distributions?  (Read 6814 times)

Offline pioj

is dCore idea applicable to other distributions?
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:08:36 AM »
First of all, sorry, I hadn't enough time to take a look at the import scripts at all...

Just for curiosity. Is it theoricaly possible to adapt dCore scripts to specify other distro stables (iex Ubuntu, Fedora, Archlinux, whatever..), instead of Debian repository?

Should we able to build a custom fCore using Fedora stable repo?

I know it's not supposed to work that way, nor should be a recommended thing to do. There's a great reason to choose Debian.

Offline uggla

Re: is dCore idea applicable to other distributions?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:34:22 AM »
It would be cool to have a distro that's able to import packages from several different distributions. It might end up in a big mess though.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:52:57 AM »
I do not know what's in the script but based on what I think it is not possible, the various distributions have differences in the structure of the file system that make them incompatible with each other.
However, I remember a distro called Yoper that allowed the installation of deb and rpm package

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »
This is all reminding me of a certain other light distro ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline pioj

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 01:33:04 AM »
There should exist a universal package manager capable to extract the files of most popular fileformats in order to let any user adapt them to their custom structure. Almost every package delivers the same binary files...

Right now it remains nearly impossible for a beginner to get any program from the Internet that doesn't come in a repository.

ITOH, I miss the info from packages that we had in ab from the main Core. I still haven't found any way to get their info from the import script.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 02:29:41 AM »
If a core made by files from a different distribution was paired with a directory of custom startup scripts and data like has been done with dCore, then it could exist.  The only advantage I see since Debian has everything would be possibly newer packages, and the startup scripts and data would have to be tailored to each different core for that distro.  I would personally rather the effort be channeled to dCore given the size of our development base. 

The main work with importing on the package end is in the custom startup scripts.  But given the vast array of packages that work in dCore with no invervention, there is the same or less need for startup script action with the imported Debian packages than there is with the standard custom compiled ones in /usr/local.

Offline pioj

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 04:27:29 AM »
Thanks!

I've been diggin into the scripts and I'm getting the idea.  Let's try the next theory:   8)

Imagine I'm able to add debian_jessie_main_i386_Packages, debian_jessie_main_i386_Packages.gz and debian_jessie_main_i386_Packages.zsync files to the current repo at:

http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/5.x/x86/

Then I modify debGetEnv script to point for those files instead of the Wheezy ones (that DEBINX variable).

.What would happen? 

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »
Of course, you are free to explore and share, but for now the goal is to make dCore move beyond alpha with the existing Debian repository and custom premade sces. So testing with that is mind would be most helpful and appreciated.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.