WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: what do I need to set up a cross development on Windows?  (Read 2628 times)

Offline richard chen

what do I need to set up a cross development on Windows?
« on: July 24, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »
Hi all, I am new to TC and would appreciate if anyone can offer some advices on what I need to do in order to set up a cross development environment on my Windows 7 PC for my TC-based x86 application development.

Here is what I want to do:

- Install eclipse on my Windows PC ---- Completed
- Find or download a GNU toolchain that supports TC development, and add it into the Eclipse --- Not Completed

Is there any prebuilt toolchain that I can download which can be used for x86/Tiny Core application development? Or what options do I have otherwise in order to do the cross development?

The task that I am trying to complete is: Develop an application that runs on the TC installed on USB drive, the application will memory map some PCI memory into its process space and do some read/write.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: what do I need to set up a cross development on Windows?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
Why not use the compiletc.tcz that runs under TC?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
If you MUST compile under windows, have you considered running Core in a VM?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »
Hi richard chen
You probably want to look into either  MinGW  or  Cygwin. I'm doing just the opposite of what you are looking to do.
I compile my programs under Linux using gcc and use gdb to debug them. I then use use a MinGW cross compiler
under Linux to create executables that run under Windows. There is a version of gdb available that will run under
Windows, however, its capabilities are somewhat limited. Most notably, it does not display the source code you
are debugging. I suggest Googling something like  "running gcc on windows".

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
I find Virtual Box on a Windows Host indispensable for compiling applications on tc
Although I use tc on USB sticks booted on real hardware also.

A combination of both makes building apps  in either x86 or x86_64 architectures possible

Just my two cents worth, there are many options it seems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline richard chen

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 10:51:55 AM »
Thanks everyone's reply!

To answer Rich's post. Yes I was looking for cygwin and crosstool to build the toolchain for Tiny Core, however I have run into many configuration issues, then I thought that I should ask the forum if there is any prebuilt toolchain ready as I assume x86 is one of the most supported architecture.

gerald_clark:

Thanks for the suggestion, is there a way to download compiletc.tcz from Windows based browser? Also, does it allow the cross compile under Windows? In other words, I need the tool chain run under Windows and generate executables that runs under Tiny Core.

Thanks again for everyone's help,
Richard

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »
What everyone is suggesting is to use the Linux toolchain that runs under TC.  If you can't boot TC on bare iron, boot it in a virtual machine.

Offline richard chen

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
For coreplay2 and tinypoodle, I am looking for cross compiling, so I am not sure if a virtual box will meet what I want to do? Would you please elaborate if the virtual machine will do it?

Thanks,
Richard

Offline richard chen

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »
Thanks gerald_clark, so it sounds like that the only way to go is to build my application under Tiny Core? and there is no way to do cross compilation under Windows + Eclipse? If so, this is good too because I can stop spending my time on this regard.

Richard

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »
Why do you want to cross compile?
What is the advantage over a native compile in a VM?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »
Using a VM running Linux if you MUST compile under Windows has been suggested so you could avoid cross compiling.

If you really want a cross compiling environment under windows, then that is primarily a windows topic, totally regardless of the target and you should look for windows support channels.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)