WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Request for printer suggestions  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
Request for printer suggestions
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »
My HP DeskJet 6540 printer finally crapped out after several years of service.  I'm looking for a new printer and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on what might work well in a TC environment.

The features, output resolution, speed and quality of the 6540 were all quite acceptable so something similar would be great.  I'm currently running a Linux-only household (though I wouldn't be too surprised if Windows XP or 7 finds its way back in at some point) so I certainly want a "linux friendly" printer (which I found the 6540 to be).  Inexpensive would be a big plus.  :)

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Request for printer suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
If you go for an hp printer, it would be worth checking that either it does not need hplip to print or, failing that, does not need a more recent version of hplip than that in the repo (I haven't been able to get recent versions of hplip to work).

It would also be worth checking that your new printer does not need firmware to be installed in order to be able to print.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:25:46 AM »
Yep, check HP's list before buying, that your new printer doesn't require the binary plugin.
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/deskjet.html
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline andyj

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:30:03 AM »
Brother has Linux drivers for most if not all of their printers. The newer ones have CUPS ppd files, the older ones have CUPS LPR wrappers. I have an HL-4070CDW (2-sided color wireless) and the results look better from Linux and Android than they do from Windoze. If you get a wireless printer you can print straight to it from your phone with their app. I've used it for PDF's and pictures.