WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core 5.0 Alpha 4 Testing  (Read 62062 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: fluxbox for tc-5
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »
fluxbox.tcz (v1.3.5) + docs submitted for the tc-5 (3.8.10) repo

tested on Xorg

and Xvesa

fluxbox-locale.tcz maybe copied from tc-4 repo

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:42:38 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Tiny Core 5.0 Alpha 4 Testing
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2013, 11:38:20 PM »
Sorry, but I think it's a little late for that..

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2013, 04:16:30 AM »
Yes, I think we're to RC soon.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline andyj

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2013, 05:57:40 AM »
Aterm under VMware DRI doesn't always refresh like it should, resulting in garbage in the window. Xterm from 4.x doesn't have this problem. Has anyone noticed if aterm has issues in any other DRI environment (Intel, ATI, NV)? Why are we using aterm anyway? According to the website, it's only one step away from abandonware.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2013, 06:37:17 AM »
Why are we using aterm anyway? According to the website, it's only one step away from abandonware.

There's no particular reason to use aterm, if you'd like to submit a different extension, please feel free  :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2013, 06:57:34 AM »
It was the smallest workable terminal the last time things were measured.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline andyj

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2013, 07:08:05 AM »
It was set up as the default which is why I was using it, but xterm from 4.x seems to work fine. Almost anyway, it isn't being added to tce.installed when it's installed the first time from onboot.lst. Running tce-load -i fixes this, but then there are two terminal apps in wbar. I also learned that urxvt from the 4.x series has the same refresh problem that aterm has. Not a huge surprise, since there is probably some inherited code.

Offline andyj

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2013, 04:53:42 AM »
So how many actual alpha testers are there anyway? I have plymouth working in a VM with support for Intel and Radeon but no way to test these. Nouveau is broken at the moment. Any takers?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2013, 07:01:21 AM »
Several window managers have been posted - fluxbox, icewm, openbox, hackedbox, jwm - testing and comments on possible solutions to any problems found would be appreciated  :)

Offline meo

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2013, 01:42:23 PM »
Hi guys!

Isn't it time for the first RC now? I think that would make it easier for many to test out different combinations of window managers etc. Just a suggestion since it's a lot easier to install TC from a CorePlus.iso than put together a testing environment in another way.

Kind greetings,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2013, 10:00:50 AM »
Isn't it time for the first RC now?

For me the question is more like, "What milestones do we have to reach before we can move from the alpha to the beta (RC) stage?"

Is there an official project plan listing such milestones?  If not, then how do you decide?

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline bobert3316

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »
I've been trying to get Xorg running on a tablet with the dreaded GMA500 video.  On TC5, simply loading gma500_gfx instantly causes my tablet to crash hard, corrupting the screen and locking up, while the Xorg vesa and fbdev drivers also fail for various reasons, albeit more gracefully.   Anybody masochistic enough to want to help me get this cruddy GMA500 stuff working on TC5?  Ubuntu 13.04 loads up gma500_gfx and Xorg with the modesetting driver right out of the box, so I know that the hardware is working and the drivers are capable.  Thanks!

Offline frimical

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »
Actually CONFIG_DRM_GMA3600=y option is needed, but it's not set because it's seen as 'experimental', eventhough on other distros (I've tested meanwhile), it is set and it is working beautifully.

I've tested the same kernel on this type of computers (that needs this option in order to use xorg in modesetting mode), and on other older ones (10 years old that work without).
I didn't notice any problem on any machine because of this 'experimental' option.

I feel I'm stuck, unless:
I go my way in my corner to solve my problem, just to keep using TC on ALL my computers,
 or
make a wish that a TC kernel could be provided, with this option set,  and be an 'exceptionnally' exception for the team policy, and start testing TC5 as soon as possible.

thank you for considering this as a request from me, and I think from many others on this forum they didn't show up yet.

Regards