WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: 64 bit and windows manager  (Read 14058 times)

Offline null

Re: 64 bit and windows manager
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »
Sounds like you have a mydata.tgz backup file with erroneous data in it.  Delete it and reboot.

Yes there was a zero length file there. Removed rebooted but still .xsession is referencing Xvesa.

I will just trash everything tonight and start clean again.

Thank you all for your support to a new user.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:53:13 PM by null »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
..../optional/fltk-1.1.10.tcz
..../optional/Xlibs.tcz
..../optional/Xprogs.tcz
..../optional/Xorg-7.6-lib.tcz
..../optional/jwm.tcz
..../optional/flwm.tcz
..../optional/wbar.tcz

..but Xorg-7.6 is still missing?

Offline null

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 11:11:36 PM »
..../optional/fltk-1.1.10.tcz
..../optional/Xlibs.tcz
..../optional/Xprogs.tcz
..../optional/Xorg-7.6-lib.tcz
..../optional/jwm.tcz
..../optional/flwm.tcz
..../optional/wbar.tcz

..but Xorg-7.6 is still missing?

Sorry downloaded and loaded. But still can't startx.  Still can't open display. Have set DISPLAY=:0.0; export DISPLAY, still no good.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:09:48 AM by null »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 08:54:11 AM »
Hi null
If you run losetup, are the following included in the list of results:

expat2.tcz
  fontconfig.tcz
  pixman.tcz
  Xorg-7.6-bin.tcz
  Xorg-7.6-lib.tcz
  Xorg-7.6.tcz
  Xorg-fonts.tcz

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »
Why don't you just stick with the 32 bit version until you are more experienced and understand what you are doing.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »
One other check you could do, after verifying that the Xorg-7.6 extension is loaded, is:
Code: [Select]
$ cat /etc/sysconfig/Xserver..and check that the answer is "Xorg" and not "Xvesa"

Offline null

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »
One other check you could do, after verifying that the Xorg-7.6 extension is loaded, is:
$ cat /etc/sysconfig/Xserver..and check that the answer is "Xorg" and not "Xvesa"
Yes, now /etc/sysconfig/Xserver says Xorg with all the packages below loaded.

This is now on onboot.lst:
expat2.tcz
fontconfig.tcz
ipv6-3.0.21-tinycore64.tcz
pixman.tcz
openssl-1.0.0.tcz
Xorg-7.6-bin.tcz
Xorg-7.6-lib.tcz
Xorg-7.6-3d.tcz
Xorg-7.6.tcz
Xorg-fonts.tcz
Xlibs.tcz
Xprogs.tcz
fltk-1.10.tcz
flwm.tcz
wbar.tcz
jwm.tcz

when I ran Xorg -configure, I get a segfault and have attached the log here.

Maybe the laptop has both an onboard GPU + also a Radeon card that causing this ? I have considered GC's suggestion of using the normal 32bit version, which I have no issues with since I first found out about TCL since v3.x (but always booted from grub2 straight from iso file). I think I did try to boot the 32bit version on the 64 bit laptop, but corepure only boots to $ command prompt.

I don't have any 32bit machines left which I prefer to use. Since I have a 64 machine, I was really looking forward to get TC64 to run on it, until I found out there was no iso.....and here I am.

Anyway, seems after much googling that the graphics is the one that is posing the most sticking point for many TC users also. I will try to forge on a little more to see if I can move forward any further. Thank you to you all for your directions and guidance thus far.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »
Xorg.0.log shows that xorg only tries to load the fbdev and vesa video drivers - it does not try to load the drivers for your hardware.

It would be useful to run "lspci" and post the details of exactly what video hardware you have in order to be able to use an appropriate xorg.conf entry.

Offline null

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 04:46:27 AM »
Xorg.0.log shows that xorg only tries to load the fbdev and vesa video drivers - it does not try to load the drivers for your hardware.

It would be useful to run "lspci" and post the details of exactly what video hardware you have in order to be able to use an appropriate xorg.conf entry.

Looks like the 64bit tcz package for lspci does not work as it required libpci.so.3. I also loaded libpci-dev.tcz but still does not work. There were no libpci share libs in the packages. I booted using another distro and did lspci. Hope this is ok (lspci -v) attached.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 05:51:20 AM »
Looks like the 64bit tcz package for lspci does not work as it required libpci.so.3. I also loaded libpci-dev.tcz but still does not work. There were no libpci share libs in the packages.
You need to use the apps browser gui or "tce-load -iw" to load extensions - doing it this way will automatically load dependent extensions.

Looking at:

http://www.tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86_64/tcz/pci-utils.tcz.dep

libpci.tcz.. you can see that it would automatically download libpci, which contains libpci.so.3
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:04:25 AM by Juanito »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 06:01:18 AM »
Looking at the output of lspci:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 0166 (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Kernel modules: i915
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 682f (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Kernel modules: radeon
..it looks like you have hardware that can switch between two graphics controllers.

As far as I know, the 3.0.21 kernel can only handle one of them and I would guess it would be the intel one, but I might well be wrong.

I believe both of the graphics controllers would require the graphics-3.0.21-tinycore64 extension to be loaded in order to work and the ati controller would require firmware-radeon to work (if it were possible to access this controller from this kernel).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:05:49 AM by Juanito »