WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Uptime contest!  (Read 3472 times)

Offline philip

Uptime contest!
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
What's the longest time between restarts on your TC system?

Mine is only a couple of days, because the GUI system freezes after that. I don't know if I should blame jwm or Xvesa. Maybe TC 2.0rc2 with the new flwm will fix it. Anyway ... I'm hoping to start a friendly competition *and* perhaps elicit some useful tips that will help me keep my system running longer.

Here tc is running on a Compaq Evo T20 thin client with a little extra RAM added by me (total 186M). When the window manager and/or X server get stuck, I log in remotely using ssh and restart them. Strictly speaking, this does not affect my little box's "uptime". So I'm asking about "duration of problem-free operation" as well as "uptime" ... and asking people with big scores to share their secrets!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Uptime contest!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:55:04 PM »
60+ days - and that was because I needed to reboot to update to a newer version of tc...

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »
60+ days

That beats my record... I have system running ssh and some periodic processes that's been going for 27 days.  The same machine ran DSL for months at a time w/o reboots (for years).  The machines that I actually sit down at rarely run more than a day or two as I'm usually messing with them in one way or another.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:35:36 AM »
So I'm asking about "duration of problem-free operation" as well as "uptime" ... and asking people with big scores to share their secrets!

I think the secret is RAM.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:55:07 AM »
Mine was on a 267MHz Pentium II with 512mb ram - all extensions are loaded as tcz (I can't remember how many are loaded, but more than the tc default for loops)

The machine is running as a cups/hplip/samba printer/scanner server for the home network and gets used for general web browsing and uploading tc extensions.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:57:24 AM by Juanito »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:48:30 AM »
all extensions are loaded as tcz (I can't remember how many are loaded, but more than the tc default for loops)

I'm wondering if there are any downsides to using lots of loops. I tend to mix tce, tcz, using tcz with larger files so as not to waste a loop on something small. 

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:58:13 AM »
I've been using max_loop=64 for a while now (without actually reaching 64) and didn't see any problems

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:35:39 AM »
...a 267MHz Pentium II with 512mb ram - all extensions are loaded as tcz...

Mine is similar, a Compaq Deskpro - Pentium II @ 350 Mhz w/320 MB ram - probably the same basic vintage.

Running tc 1.3 with a mix of tcz and tce extensions (including coreutils and wget), but not hugely many of either.

It runs a periodic wget to keep a Windows web server from going comatose, my custom DDNS updater and dropbear server as well as serving as a backup desktop.

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar