WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (Solved) Man won't run  (Read 6586 times)

Offline athouston

(Solved) Man won't run
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »
I have built a new 4.7.7 install. I download man.tcz through apps manager but it doesn't seem to run. I have rebooted.

At a terminal screen I type "man whateverapp.tc" and I get man not found error. Its listed in onboot.lst.

Any suggestions please.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:58:03 PM by athouston »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Man won't run
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 06:03:49 PM »
hI athouston
At a terminal screen I type "man whateverapp.tc" ...
The man utility is for viewing man files. These can be found in  man-pages.tcz  as well as the -doc.tczs available
for many extensions. I don't know where you got that  .tc  syntax from.

Offline athouston

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »
Hi Rich,

What I thought I was trying to do was read the doco for various applications; and especially for cups; as man is the standard application for doing this (in the UNIX world anyway).

This is the biggest problem I am having coming to grips with tiny core linux, the apparent lack of documentation. I followed the instructions for cups as listed in appbrowser ( a separate discussion thread)  but have since been told that is incorrect. So I need to read the doco on cups to work out what I do need to do to get it working.

I use the term "apparent" because I assume it must exist somewhere. Where, and how to get at it, seems to be the hands of "secret squirrel).

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:06:35 PM »
Doc files, including man pages are in the ...-doc.tcz extensions. If you need one, just install. As they are not needed for regular use, not installed automatically.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline athouston

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »
OK. I have downloaded cups_doc.tcz "on demand". When I select it from the on screen drop down menu nothing seems to happen. When I run it in a terminal session I just get a translucent screen that shows whatever is under the window as I move the terminal window around.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
Hi athouston
What happens if you enter:
Code: [Select]
man cups-config

Offline athouston

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »
I get the contents of a help file for developers showing the compile options available.

It also says to "see also http://localhost:631/help" which I cannot do because I get a page unavailable error in Firefox (which happens to be the problem I am trying to solve by reading the doco that I cannot find).

The installation notes on cups.tcz says to put a ServerName entry in client.conf. But I'm told that cupsd.conf is the correct config file. Therefore do I need the ServerName entry and if so under what section in the cupsd.conf file. "Cups status" says it is running but I can't do anything with it because I can't find the doco to learn how to use it.

Sorry, I don't mean to appear contrary, but this is seriously time wasting (for all of us).

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 09:08:19 PM »
Hi athouston
That means man is working and it's finding the cups man files. Open the Apps utility, go to  cups-doc.tcz  and click on
the  Files  tab. The files listed are the help topics that are available.

Offline athouston

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
Ah, doco sweat doco; how I have missed thee. Thy sweet and wondrous mercies fill my heart with glee.

I assume therefore that this works with *-docs.tcz files???

Thanks Rich.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
It also says to "see also http://localhost:631/help" which I cannot do because I get a page unavailable error in Firefox (which happens to be the problem I am trying to solve by reading the doco that I cannot find).
Did you set a root password and start the cups daemon as root (as per the cups info file)?

The installation notes on cups.tcz says to put a ServerName entry in client.conf. But I'm told that cupsd.conf is the correct config file. Therefore do I need the ServerName entry and if so under what section in the cupsd.conf file
If you have the full cups installed you don't need the client.conf file - this is only used if you are using libcups alone and only then with apps that are compatible.

The default cupsd.conf should normally work for a standard printer installation.

Sorry, I don't mean to appear contrary, but this is seriously time wasting (for all of us).
No problem, cups is a bloated, overly complicated, mess

Offline athouston

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 11:39:55 PM »
I followed the instructions as per the apps browser.  When I execute "/usr/local/etc/init.d/cups status" I get "cups is running".  When I execute "/usr/local/etc/init.d/cups stop" I get "no /usr/local/sbin/cupsd found; none killed".

I copied cupsd.conf.default to cupsd.conf to be sure before rebooting.

There was no ServerName entry in cupsd.conf (as per apps browser instructions) but there are entries for
WebInterface yes
Listen localhost:631

I added the ServerName and Port number entries to cupsd.conf just in case that was the problem. I verified they were in the file before rebooting but they are not there now. Does the system copy cupsd.conf.default over it at boot or something???

aus9

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 12:14:52 AM »
I am glad Juanito is here but prefer you check where you post please.
If people google and come here, your man OP question is answered IMHO and can be safely edit to show its solved.

It appears your cups question is now unresolved and would be better that you "unsolve" this link and I am going to reply there

yes I am anal

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,15582.msg90848.html#msg90848

Offline athouston

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:30:27 AM »
Not a problem Sir. This thread did kind of get away from me. I unsolved the other as suggested.

I think I have founda problem here. Cups is not reading the cupsd.config.default file on bootup or something like that.

I build a new clean 4.7.7. system and downloaded

cups.tcz
acl.tcz
net-tools.tcz

cups status says it is running
netstat -tuanp shows cupsd web interface not running.

I added

ServerName 192.168.0.22
Port number 631

to cupsd.conf.default

and ran cups start which gave an error that it could not create /var/run/dbus - permission denied.

I ran it under sudo and it all worked. But when I rebooted it all failed again. Cupsd.conf.default no longer contains the changes I made. I also tried this change in cupsd.conf with the same result.

What do you think I have missed.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 07:03:27 AM »
Hi athouston
I assume therefore that this works with *-docs.tcz files???
That is correct.