WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to use a newer kernel?  (Read 61860 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: How to use a newer kernel?
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2013, 07:17:38 AM »
Steen

unfortunately have no idea :(

One question. What are the issues with the current 3.8.13 which are fixed in version you are trying to build?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2013, 07:48:11 AM »
Steen

unfortunately have no idea :(

One question. What are the issues with the current 3.8.13 which are fixed in version you are trying to build?

I don't know if it fixes anything. But you know my main interest in the raspberry is to use it as a small audio player as a replacement of a Squeezebox player.
So often it is used together with a USB-DAC. Personally I have no problem with the current piCorePlayer with the USB-DAC that I use, but I get reports that some USB-DACs still produce a cracklling noise from time to time from other users.
It is amassing, but there are more than 200 downloads of the piCorePlayer

My previous piCorePlayer was based on linux 3.8.12 - and there were some problems that were mostly solved by changing to the fiq_split fix version (3.8.12 based).

Then came the 3.8.13 version which was much better than the 3.8.12 version - but recently the fiq_split branch also have been updated to 3.8.13, and even one more change has been done in the USB-handling in this branch which is not present in the "pure" 3.8.13 linux.

Therefore I thought that this version might be even better than the "pure" 3.8.13 linux - and wanted to give it a try. But unfortunately I can't compile a new fiq_split 3.8.13 kernel.

And I thought that I finally could manage to build new kernels (I did make a 3.8.12 and a fig_split version based on 3.8.12).
Steen 

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »
Looks like you're missing bash.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »
Thanks to both of you, somehow I managed to fix the problem. Unfortunately it is not entirely clear to me what was the cause of it, and what I changed - but anyway it is working now.

Steen