WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: symlink between tce directories  (Read 6930 times)

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
symlink between tce directories
« on: December 06, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »
If your like me, your going to have bunches of non-default tce directories.  To save hard drive space symbolic links between them work for me (knock on wood).  For instance if you have your default tce on hdd4 and one called mystuff also on hdd4 and what Opera in both this works.

Code: [Select]
sudo ln -s /mnt/hdd4/tce/opera-9.61.tcz /mnt/hdd4/mystuff/
On reboot it will load.  Remember any dependencies.  I doubt this will work between different partitions because they will not both be mounted at the time.
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline mikshaw

Re: symlink between tce directories
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »
I once had a setup very much like that in DSL, and it worked well.  This was at a time, though, when the number of loop devices was severely limited. After the number was increased beyond anything I'd use, I just started automatically mounting all the apps I might need for that day.  The same seems to be true for tcz.

I could see this procedure being very useful for tce type extensions, since you don't want anything in RAM that you're not going to use.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »
I still support the "optional" directory, located just under the specified "tce" directory. Its purpose is for storing and upon demand loading/mounting of the less often used extensions.

In fact the "Download Only" of the appbrowser, stores the selected extension in the "optional directory". Using the File Menu of the appbrowser allows upon demand loading from the optional directory.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
I also put the backup file in the same directory so I have multiple unique configurations.
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
In fact the "Download Only" of the appbrowser, stores the selected extension in the "optional directory".
That was clever...wish I'd thought of that =o)

On the subject of the appbrowser, I was going to suggest the possibility of returning to the last-used directory when the user clicks the "local" button when loading multiple apps in the same session, but then I realized that adding that directory to favorites is just as easy.

Offline wiak

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »
I also put the backup file in the same directory so I have multiple unique configurations.

I like this method along with using symlinks in (various different) tce folders pointing to the optional folder and was about to suggest the same just prior to my noticing you had already posted the method. TC is astonishingly flexible.

Demand installing via the apps browser is also ery handy too, though it is nice to have various preset configurations (beats having to create lots of different re-masters, as users more commonly have to do in some other popular smallish downloadable distributions).