WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: rdesktop from TSPrint - is it possible? [SOLVED]  (Read 6021 times)

Offline 2os

rdesktop from TSPrint - is it possible? [SOLVED]
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:18:07 AM »
I want to use TC as a client for Windows remote desktop server. Users will have to print from their remote desktop sessions so I will use TSPrint from www.terminalworks.com to forward the printer to the remote desktop session. TSPrint is creating its own version of rdesktop plus one more file that should be run to make this work. This is instructions from terminalworks:

Please download client from the following link:http://www.terminalworks.com/downloads/tsprint/linux/
When you downloaded 'tsprint.tar.gz' from our site, you will need to extract it in the terminal with 'tar xvzf tsprint.tar.gz'.
That will create a sub-directory named 'tsprint'. Go to that directory with e.g. 'cd tsprint'.
In that directory, run our rdesktop with './rdesktop -u<username> -p<password> <hostname>'  -  substitute the parameters with your own.
Note: In case you get an error stating that libcrypto is not the right version please download this package:
http://terminalworks.com/downloads/tsprint/linux/libcrypto.so.0.9.zip

I assume that this customized rdesktop is still relying on the same dependencies that the standard rdesktop requires. Is there a way to replace the standard rdesktop file only with the customized one and preferably pack it into its own tcz extension?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:43:56 PM by 2os »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: rdesktop from TSPrint - is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:35:41 PM »
Cherry picking binaries is hit or miss...
Running ldd on executable(s) may give you an indication.
Consider building from source.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline 2os

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
Thank you tinypoodle, you gave me a good indication of where this is going. I suspect this is not a project suitable for TC with my skills level. TC is ideal for it otherwise but this third party utility will force me to use a standard Linux distro instead. Since users must be able to print from RD sessions I must use this kind of utility to make it happen. Thanks!

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 07:41:35 PM »
Well, FWIW, I had downloaded the source to have a look, and found that binaries were included, so ran a ldd on them, and on my - admittedly configured and customized - system, it appeared that all dependencies were already met. However, I did not try to run the executables.
It requires at least gtk2 and possibly other extensions.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline 2os

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »
I asked terminalworks support for direction with using their TSPrint client with Tiny Core. Below is the full email I received yesterday in response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.
After talking with the developers, I have been informed we don't support Tiny Core Linux.

Best regards,
TerminalWorks Support

It does not mean that it will not work, just wanted to post this here for the record. I shall try your suggestion, tinypoodle.

Thanks!!

Offline 2os

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »
tinypoodle you are correct!

I ran ldd on the terminalowrks rdesktop file to discover dependencies and the two missing libraries were libasound.so.2 and libcrypto.so.0.9.8. I downloaded libasound.so.2 from the Tiny Core tcz source and placed the libcrypto.so.0.9.8 file provided by terminalworks in "/usr/lib" per instructions in previous email from them. At that point their own rdesktop file worked and connected.

Thanks a bunch for your good help with this matter.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »
Glad to learn it worked out   :)

Please add a [SOLVED] to subject line of first post.