WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Request] ZSNES (+SNES9X question)  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Medox

[Request] ZSNES (+SNES9X question)
« on: May 16, 2009, 06:25:52 PM »
I tried SNES9X and it works great but I always liked zsnes.

Could someone make a extension?

p.s. How do I start snes9x in fullscreen? With "-fs" and "-y" it gets stretched and it's good but it's not fullscreen. Or maybe removing the window border, top bar and all that? Is that possible?

Thanks and sorry if all this sounds stupid. I'm new to all this. :-\
“Your body's just a vehicle, transporting the soul.
It's what's inside of people, is beauty to behold.” - Damian Marley

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: [Request] ZSNES (+SNES9X question)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:38:39 PM »
I am building supertux right now, and while in a gaming mood I may try for zsnes.

I see snes9x with -fs does not do real fullscreen.  But using snes9x -fs -sc romname.smc does help give a larger picture

Offline Medox

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »
I see snes9x with -fs does not do real fullscreen.  But using snes9x -fs -sc romname.smc does help give a larger picture

Wow... I used -y instead of -sc but it was full of annoying scanlines. Thanks for the tip.

Isn't there any trick (lets say with Xvesa) to make it go fullscreen?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:13:23 PM »
I am not sure how to fullscreen snes9x, but I will try and see.

I am wrapping up zsnes as we speak.  I never used it before today but it is nice.

Offline Medox

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »
I am wrapping up zsnes as we speak.  I never used it before today but it is nice.

Great! :)

ZSNES is my favorite for some years now and it's much better than snes9x, from my experience.
Still, snes9x isn't bad at all. They have pros/cons spread over many forums.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 07:43:34 PM »
Zsnes posted for TC 2.x.

Offline Medox

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 07:47:49 PM »
Zsnes posted for TC 2.x.

Many thanks! Works great.

But is has the same "problem" like DOSBox... it remains centered, not stretched to the whole screen.

Any way around this?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
After running zsnes, the zsnes screen will pop up and then to to the Config menu and choose video.  There are fullscreen options there.  And once set, each rom will open from then on with fullscreen unless set back to window mode.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:03:12 PM »
Oh, I see what you are talking about.  The largest resolution available for fs is 640x480, which does not do fullscreen at normal resolution.

Offline Medox

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 08:18:23 PM »
Oh, I see what you are talking about.  The largest resolution available for fs is 640x480, which does not do fullscreen at normal resolution.

Exactly :(
The same problem with dosbox.

I tried everything (in dosbox) to set resolutions. 1024x768 won't work. Even a "secret" tip to set 0x0 as resolution in the dosbox.conf file didn't work. I think this is impossible to do/stretch. At least without something else (Xvesa "tunning", I don't know...)

Back to snes9x/zsnes...

The best "fullscreen" for now is the -fs -sc from snes9x... maximized it fills almost the whole screen. Maybe now, removing (somehow) the top bar & window borders, would be a good workaround.  ???

The problem with centering zsnes/dosbox is (I think) the lack of ddraw or something similar that Xvesa doesn't support?! Just guessing... I don't know the details but I know that dosbox crashes when I select scalers. (I read in some forums that setting scalers would be a solution for dosbox, on other - larger - distros)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 08:20:22 PM by Medox »

Offline Medox

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 09:28:12 PM »
Back with good news :)

I booted tinycore in textmode with vga=786 (640x480) and, the good news, zsnes runs!

Because zsnes supports only up to 640x480 it fits almost perfect. Still some little black borders up/down and left/right but it's going to work this way. (until I find a better way to stretch everything)

Now I finally have something for my upcoming zsnes distro, after some failures with the dos version, slax version, and many more.

This zsnes live distro will take very little space, compared to the ones from above... I'm excited
So... I'm "copyrighting" TinyZsnes :D ...with the first version in a couple of minutes/hours. Today, if not tomorrow.

It'll take a while because I'm a perfectionist (::)) and I also want to strip down some things... now that I only need textmode. Anyway, details and builds later...

p.s. I played around with my first version 5 minutes ago and it worked very good... still more to do. I love the fact that sound is working! Even fastforward and all the zsnes features :o
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:32:11 PM by Medox »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 02:59:33 AM »
I have a feeling all the scalers in dosbox would use either XV or OpenGL (there were some software scalers at some point, but they got replaced with hardware accelerated ones). You'd need Xorg to get either xv or opengl.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Medox

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 03:07:43 AM »
I have a feeling all the scalers in dosbox would use either XV or OpenGL (there were some software scalers at some point, but they got replaced with hardware accelerated ones). You'd need Xorg to get either xv or opengl.

I am working on zsnes now but I made a quick test and dosbox loads in fullscreen, streched, if I use text mode and vga=786. It looks great but the key mapping is horrible, no key at it's previous place.

I don't really insisted to know why but dosbox comes after my zsnes project anyway.