WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v2.0rc2  (Read 24020 times)

Offline mcewanw

Re: tinycore_v2.0rc2
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:13 AM »
tc@box:/usr/local/tce.flwm$ vi gnumeric
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/gnumeric
~     

Hmmm... I have exactly that on my system too (clean booting tc2.0rc2 without a mydata.tgz).

But... when I right click on the FLWM bar and mouse to Applications -> gnumeric
for some reason the gnumeric entry still points to /home/tc/.wmx/Applications/Start_basic_firewall

Weird! How can such an entry be possible (I don't really understand how FLWM creates the menu, but I'd have imagined the tce.flwm folder scripts would have determined everything, but clearly not. Perhaps I did something inside gnumeric.tce, but I can't remember doing so. I'll download a fresh copy and test that.

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:42:15 AM »
Actually, I've just noticed that pppsetup FLWM menu doesn't work (it should point to ppp-connect, ppp-disconnect, and ppp-configure, but doesn't).

Alas, I'm charged with maintaining that because I modified the modem options in Jason W's original version, but I didn't change the way the menu worked in there (and wouldn't have known how to!)

Oh well, I guess it is a minor glitch that needs sorting out somewhere... ?

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 12:52:48 AM »
So what is the difference in the tce/tcz build process to make sure menus work okay using FLWM (and JWM)?

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 01:23:48 AM »
tc@box:/usr/local/tce.flwm$ vi gnumeric
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/gnumeric
~     

Hmmm... I have exactly that on my system too (clean booting tc2.0rc2 without a mydata.tgz).

But... when I right click on the FLWM bar and mouse to Applications -> gnumeric
for some reason the gnumeric entry still points to /home/tc/.wmx/Applications/Start_basic_firewall

Weird! How can such an entry be possible (I don't really understand how FLWM creates the menu, but I'd have imagined the tce.flwm folder scripts would have determined everything, but clearly not. Perhaps I did something inside gnumeric.tce, but I can't remember doing so. I'll download a fresh copy and test that.

That is weird. $HOME/.wmx/Applications should be a link to /usr/local/tce.flwm. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:30:19 AM by jpeters »

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 01:57:10 AM »
That is weird. $HOME/.wmx/Applications should be a link to /usr/local/tce.flwm. 

It is.

However, I still get the right click Applications -> gnumeric pointing via the path I previously indicated to Start_basic_firewall

Offline mcewanw

I opened up my two problem tce's: 1. gnumeric and 2. pppsetup

1. cat usr/local/tce.menu/gnumeric
contains:

<JWM>
<Program label="gnumeric">/usr/local/bin/gnumeric</Program>
<JWM>

Clearly, the last <JWM> should be </JWM>
Does the repo gnumeric have the same error (or is it something I have added since downloading the tce..?... I can't remember.

2. cat usr/local/tce.menu/pppsetup
contains

<JWM>
<Menu label="pppsetup">
  <Program label="ppp-connect">sudo /usr/local/sbin/ppp-go</Program>
  <Program label="ppp-disconnect">sudo /usr/local/bin/ppp-off</Program>
  <Program label="ppp-configure">sudo aterm -e /usr/local/bin/pppsetup</Program>
</Menu>
</JWM>

I think the problem in this case might be the two spaces before each line starting: <Program label=

[I'm just assuming the new tc2.0rc2 contains some parsing routine that assumes no spaces on these tce.menu lines].

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 06:49:23 AM »
Alas, I'm charged with maintaining that because I modified the modem options in Jason W's original version, but I didn't change the way the menu worked in there (and wouldn't have known how to!)

mcewanw - maintain or not maintain pppsetup as you wish, there is no forced obligation.  I don't use pppsetup and cannot maintain it, so figured you may like to since you were updating it and apparently use it.  Anyone can submit updates to the package, I was passing it along as I don't use ppp at all.

Also, lets move the discussion of extensions' menu issues to the particular extensions thread in TCE News or open a thread in TCE Bugs.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:02:36 AM by Jason W »

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 07:31:39 AM »
Sorry you thought I was complaining. That wasn't my feeling or intention. At the time I wrote the quoted sentence I couldn't see how to fix the tc2.0rc2 menu-related problem with pppsetup because I knew nothing about menu operation. As you know, I found and fixed the problem a few hours later, so solved and no bug thread required.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
I opened up my two problem tce's: 1. gnumeric and 2. pppsetup

1. cat usr/local/tce.menu/gnumeric
contains:

<JWM>
<Program label="gnumeric">/usr/local/bin/gnumeric</Program>
<JWM>

Clearly, the last <JWM> should be </JWM>
Does the repo gnumeric have the same error (or is it something I have added since downloading the tce..?... I can't remember.

Thanks for catching that.  No...,but my copy seems to work fine either way....  edit:  resubmitted with correction
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:17:52 AM by jpeters »

Offline jls

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 08:44:50 AM »
most of this posts are off topic
dCore user

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 10:04:56 AM »
The posts here are kind of a mixed bag as some are issues with extensions, but this thread has pointed out a bug in the flwm_makemenu script. While unfortunate that it was not caught in the QA cycles, nevertheless, it has appeared.

Supporting relative position of the Program tag was intended but obviously it is not. I have fixed the bug. So now leading spaces are not an issue.

Since flwm uses directories and files instead of a single text file menu, I am currently only supporting a single <menu> level. You can have multple single menu levels in a single extension item. But even that seems counterintuitive i.e., if we had started with flwm such menu items would likely not be constructed in such a  manner.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:26:47 AM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 10:38:48 AM »
Posted 2.0rc2.1  http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release/

Fixed leading spaces issue with flwm dynamic menu creation.

Offline junan

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 01:57:48 AM »
maybe must add refresh wbar too ... i couldn't find it at the menu...
fun and fearless ...

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 05:21:35 AM »
It is easier to just right-click on the bar itself to refresh.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 07:49:57 PM »
Now ready for testing Tiny Core V2.0 Release Candidate 2.

I am a new TCL user, having discovered TCL a few weeks ago. In search of a best linux system (I do not touch bloated systems with a six foot pole), fast and light, I thought I found the best one - Slitaz. This was before I discovered TCL. It is the new leader IMHO. I tested on variety of hardware, old and newest. Network detection (key feature) is amazing - even PCMCIA network cards! Neither Slitaz nor Zenwalk can do it!
I have been happily using 2.0 RC1 and thought things can only improve. Alas, RC2 new wm (FLWM) is so plain ugly that I cannot use it!  I trust there was a technical reason, some already discussed, but can something be done about these horible esthetics of menus at least? I do not mind the top taskbar gone, but overall look and feel  is plain ugly now, and with unconventional windows handling (X in lower left, etc.). Even in the face of some technical advantage, which I do not yet see, the mere ugliness prevents me from using it. I will be stuck with RC1 for a long time, unless this ugliness is temporary and will be fixed before gold release...

[^thehatsrule^: fixed quote tag]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:21:39 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »