WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Is Intel HD3000 graphics supported? [not a graphics issue]  (Read 3234 times)

Offline dianedebuda

Sorry, but I'm not Linux knowledgeable, so I'm kind of in the dark here.  I am having trouble with 2 bootable isos that use Tiny Core: bootable Partition Wizard and bootable OCZ Toolbox.  In both cases, I see some configuration but then the screen is cleared to black.  I'm hoping that you can tell me if it is simply that the native graphics on the Asus X75A laptop (Intel HD 3000) is not supported by TC.

FWIW, this is what I reported to OCZ:
Tried again on X75A laptop - Most of what I see: Micro Core loading; Booting the Kernel; (new screen); many Waiting as requested ... Seqmentation Fault; Scanning the hard disk partitions to create \etc\fstab; Setting the Language to C Done; Ignore Swap Partition(s) Seek as requested; Segmentation Fault; Segmentation Fault; Checking for extensions...; a couple of colored lines that show briefly including 1 that says Done; (new screen); brief white text "redirecting stderr to default" (I think) message that disappears leaving a black (not blue as originally stated) screen. Can ctrl+alt+del to reboot.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:58:48 AM by curaga »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Is Intel HD3000 graphics supported?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:19:35 AM »
Hi dianedebuda
It sounds like you are using repackaged versions of Tinycore. You should seek support for those from the website that
provides them. That said, if you click on  Search  and enter   intel 3000   you may find more information related to
your problem.

Offline dianedebuda

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:37:11 AM »
Thanks for reply, but I've already searched unsuccessfully for intel 3000 and hd3000 on both the site and generally with Google.  Have reported problems to providers, but since the only 2 isos I'm having trouble with both use Tiny Core, I thought I'd just see if HD 3000 was a known omission or problem in general with Tiny Core.  Not trying to go any deeper than that.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »
I have two machines with intel hd3000 (dell latitude e6220, mac mini) and both work "confless" with tinycore and Xorg-7.6.

Note however, that the intel driver in Xorg-7.6-3d does not work with the hd3000 and causes it to crash on both machines.

Offline dianedebuda

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »
Bad driver sure sounds promising.  Any idea if my "black screen" = your crash results?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:24:04 AM »
In my case, x starts without problems, but as soon as you try something that uses 3d (glxgears) it crashes.

You could delete the driver - /usr/local/lib/X11/modules/dri/i965_dri.so - to force it to run 2d?

Offline dianedebuda

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:58:19 AM »
My problems are with prepackaged ISOs from different vendors.  As a user seeing what seems to be a common problem to both, I was hoping to report a potential graphics problem back to the vendors - helping them to help me.  Could just as well be completely unrelated bugs each has, or since it is a new laptop, a problem here (although I'm not having any Win7 symptoms).  I thank you for your time.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 10:52:20 AM »
You are getting segfaults before the boot has even completed. That has nothing to do with your graphics, and it indicates a bigger issue.

Either your hardware is failing badly (ram, cpu), the cds are faulty (bad burn / bad cd drive), or the iso image itself is buggy.

Regardless, we don't support remasters here.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline dianedebuda

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:23:47 PM »
curaga, I appreciate your taking the time to post.  Please understand it was never my intention to have anyone do anything more than say what Juanito said, effectively, Tiny Core works with his HD3000.  I saw what appeared to be a common factor & wanted to give it a quick look.  That's it.  Don't think it's worth anyone spending any more time on this.  It truly appears to be a vendor problem.  I am grateful for the views, but wish I knew how to mark this thread as inactive so I don't unintentionally frustrate anyone else.

Diane