WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: firefox with black bookmarks  (Read 3542 times)

Offline rudolf

firefox with black bookmarks
« on: April 24, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
This is not really an extension bug. It came up when I updated to Firefox 20 whith my firefoxandflash extension. Some bookmark windows were suddenly black. I solved this by shortening the names of bookmarks with very long names.

Offline nitram

Re: firefox with black bookmarks
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:52:44 PM »
Sorry for reviving old bug report, just wanted to report that it's still an issue. Presently running TC-6, Xvesa, FLTK. The problem occurs with Firefox-official (Firefox 33.1.1) from the TC-6 repository. No add-ons installed. For whatever reason, this TC build comes with a built-in plugin called OpenH264 video codec provided by Cisco, which has been disabled. No flash or other plugins.

As above, the problem occurs when bookmarking a site that uses a long bookmark name (>54 characters). The entire bookmark dropdown list goes black, making them impossible to read unless hovering over with mouse cursor. Do not have adequate software installed at this time to provide a screenshot. The problem should be easy to reproduce. Simply open the properties of any bookmark and append a long bookmark name, select the bookmark dropdown and the list should be all black.

Simple work around is to rename the bookmark to something shorter than 54 characters. Admittedly this would rarely occur, but i've only been using TC for a couple weeks and it's already happened. Some websites create very long and descriptive default bookmark names. The work around is easy but unsure how the issue could be fixed (maybe Xvesa related), just pointing out the issue. Presently also running LTS Iceweasel in Debian and latest Firefox in Ubuntu and have never come across this problem.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:27:27 AM »
Do not have adequate software installed at this time to provide a screenshot.

This is built into the tc gui - see the desktop right-click menu

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:41:24 AM »
Or run  screenshot.sh  from a terminal window (it captures the screen with a 2 seconds delay or something) since the desktop right click menu doesn't work (for most WMs?) if a Firefox menu is open.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 02:03:35 AM »
Thanks for posting the solution, I just had that problem yesterday, shortening the bookmark name fixed it for me too. 8)
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 04:17:00 AM »
No problem here with Firefox 35.0 and TC6.0 + Xorg.
core-user, are you using Xvesa as well?
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 05:45:27 AM »
I am using CorePlus6.0 with added programs, remastered & installed, so I am using whatever the default is.
(Typing this from AntiX.)
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 07:52:47 AM »
ps shows
1110 root    Xvesa -br -screen 1024x768x32 -shadow -2button -mouse /dev/input

(So it didn't detect my screen properly either, should have been 1280x1024 - SXGA)
 8)
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 09:20:21 AM »
There is no resolution autodetection currently, it defaults to 1024x768. Xvesa -listmodes only lists what your graphics card supports, finding out what the screen supports is not possible without additional programs I believe.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nitram

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »
Screenshots attached, showing blacklist and normal.

The culprit is obviously YouTubeggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg. Simply adding another character causes the blacklist. Just for demo but some websites do create longer default bookmarks.

PS: sleep 10 && screenshot.sh is the goto command for screenshots requiring time to activate menus!

Offline nitram

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »
@core-user:

Seems your mileage will vary with Xvesa but you can try:
-exit graphic mode (exit to prompt, ctrl-alt-del or backspace can't remember)
-run xsetup and see if better choices appear

Alternatively i've had limited success manually editing resolution via /home/tc/.xsession.

Offline nitram

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 06:39:18 PM »
Just wanted to report that this bug was not reproducible on another computer, also running TC-6, Xvesa, FLTK and Firefox-official (Firefox 33.1.1). So hopefully not a biggy, regardless the work-around has already been outlined above. Thanks.

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 02:05:55 AM »
No problem with screen res for me, I just used the Control Panel Xvesa setup to change it, I was replying to Misalf about whether I was using Xvesa or Xorg drivers. :)

@Curaga
No problem about auto detection, easy to change, I just assumed it had. :)
AMD, ARM, & Intel.