WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: EXT4 versus EXT3  (Read 2352 times)

Offline mbertrand

EXT4 versus EXT3
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
Yes, here we go again! I would like to know peoples opinion regarding EXT4 versus EXT3?

We are using TinyCore in an industrial environment and using them for automation. We are new to Linux (1 year max).
We are all developers working on programs written in QT for automation. We have many of these computers. Each developer has one for developing and testing.We have just finished going trough all this "hey that's weird I copied files from my stick and after rebooting my file is zero"So we implemented all this fsync/sync stuff. On of us was having grater problems reproducing this behavior only to find out that one of us had their drive formatted with EXT2 and the other EXT4. We are all supposed to format with EXT4 (Because some one told us to !!!) but one of use did not and did not realize this until now. The one with EXT2 was having for less problems the others. I'm not saying anything here at all BUT, it did spark up a heated conversation as to wich one is better.
We did scrap EXT2 and Googled between EXT3 and EXT4! Now we are not sure what to do. SO, what do all of you think of EXT3 versus EXT4

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
Re: EXT4 versus EXT3
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:02:48 AM »
EXT4 is safe to use in current versions, but you may still see some issues with it, as it's only a few years old now.

Using a journaling FS (ext3 or ext4) is recommended over ext2, as it protects you more in case of power loss.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline hiro

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 03:19:33 AM »
I use ext3, I forgot what useful new features ext4 has and I never missed them either :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 04:05:34 AM »
It is faster in both rw and fsck, and has higher limits for supported partition sizes etc.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.