WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] How do I connect to a HP wireless printer?  (Read 25627 times)

aus9

[SOLVED] How do I connect to a HP wireless printer?
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »
I have a HP wireless printer Deskjet 3050 which I can confirm works with hplip-2.7 with a direct USB lead but  am trying to connect wirelessly.

I know little about wireless being spoilt with ethernet but can connect to my wireless router using wifi.tcz  as per
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,15217.msg87814.html#msg87814

1) So this time, I deliberately do not try to connect to my router.....I renamed it Tinycore so you can spot it in the list but try to connect to HP thingee

wifi.sh output is

Code: [Select]
Select Wifi Network

ESSID                  Enc Qual Channel Type
 1. HOME24                 on   0   1 WPA
 2. Pepper                 on   0   2 WPA
 3. HPJ610a.88607F        off   0   6
 4. Tinycore               on   0   6 WPA
 5. WLAN                   on   0   6 WPA
 6. TPG                     on   0   6 WPA
 7. rema4                   on   0   6 WPA

# above is results of sudo wifi.sh where printer is wireless radio on but
# wps or pin not set

Enter selection ( 1 - 7 ) or (q)uit: 3
udhcpc (v1.20.2) started
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
No lease, failing
Failed to connect.

2) Maybe wifi is not quite the right tool?

any suggestions?

3) On the printer if I have wireless radio enabled but do not press the button for WPS or PIN, wifi can see the SSID

as soon as I try PIN, as there is no WPS button on my usb dongle for wireless, wifi no longer sees any network

4) so I try to start hplip......AND I push wireless broadcast PIN on printer
sudo hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.11.5)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

Num       Connection  Description                                               
            Type                                                                 
  --------  ----------  ----------------------------------------------------------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)                               
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)
  2         par         Parallel Port (LPT:)                                     

Enter number 0...2 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1

Using connection type: net

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

If I repeat with wireless radio on the printer but not attempting to connect via WPS or broadcast its PIN, the same error occurs

I am stumped at this point.

thanks for reading
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:31:32 AM by aus9 »

aus9

Re: How do I connect to a HP wireless printer?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
I forgot to mention that I have also done a report from within the HP printer and it says

"Your hp printer can not find your access pt. Check that your access pt is powered on. Check that your HP printer network name (SSID) matches your access point network name (SSID) exactly. If they don't match exactly, run the wireless network setup to configure your HP printer."

also it reports ...wireless is on, wireless is working, it reports its network name (SSID) as the same string showing in post one for item 3 found by wifi.sh and encryption is none.

Authentication type says "Open System"..................and this appears to be WEP

so maybe I need some kind of WEP detection and configure tool, maybe wifi is only good for WPA?

For those distros that have it.................HP report also says Bonjour is enabled.

2) I also loaded and started avahi.....and tried avahi-browse but I could not make sense of it........It appeared to be looking for ISPs and not just networked devices?

thanks for reading
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:41:59 PM by aus9 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 10:26:34 PM »
I deliberately do not try to connect to my router

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the idea to connect the printer wirelessly to your router and then you access the printer via your router wired/wirelessly?

I setup an hp all-in-one last summer and found you also have to give it a static ip address or things get confused after awakening from stand-by.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »
For those distros that have it.................HP report also says Bonjour is enabled.

2) I also loaded and started avahi.....and tried avahi-browse but I could not make sense of it........It appeared to be looking for ISPs and not just networked devices?

avahi will work as a stand-in for bonjour - not exactly the same set-up, but you should get something like this:
$ avahi-browse -at
+   eth0 IPv4 wap88a9b8                                     _http._tcp           local
+   eth0 IPv4 wap88a9b8                                     _csco-sb._tcp        local
+   eth0 IPv4 N4800                                         _http._tcp           local
+   eth0 IPv4 macminitc [c8:2a:14:59:0d:7e]                 _workstation._tcp    local
+   eth0 IPv4 macminitc                                     _ssh._tcp            local
+   eth0 IPv4 macminitc                                     _sftp-ssh._tcp       local
+   eth0 IPv4 AirPrint HPOfficeJetG85 @ macminitc           _ipp._tcp            local
+   eth0 IPv4 wap9f88b6                                     _http._tcp           local
+   eth0 IPv4 wap9f88b6                                     _csco-sb._tcp        local

aus9

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:44:07 AM »
 Juanito

what I did not mention, as I thought it might be too confusing, is I have an usb port on my modem/router and initially I tried to run avahi, cups and tried to see if cups would discover the printer thru the router..........but lack the skills to know how to complete that method.

also the internal hp printout reports that Port 9100 status is enabled, and we know one of our French friends may have connected using
socket:// blah blah:9100 but I was not able to.

I will report on avahi-browse -at shortly.

My goal is.....because it is a wireless printer......to connect to it TC using the wireless dongle.......a little similar to those who have laptops with wireless devices.

I should add I have made numerous attempts to connect to WPS wireless router to wireless printer.........but I think they fail unless I downgrade my wireless security from WPA2/ PSK etc............and at this stage I am not prepared to do that.

It is also possible I am thinking wrong..........neighbours using MS I assume would need to google what my SSID for my printer meant in terms of driver, download that driver and then install it on Windows in order to have a go at connecting to my printer.........but even if they do.......they don't get access to my internet due to my wireless router security......................so it might worth a shot me............trying NOT to use HP wireless security.

As you can tell my head is scrambled trying to figure out wireless black magic.

cheers

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:02:22 AM »
what I did not mention, as I thought it might be too confusing, is I have an usb port on my modem/router and initially I tried to run avahi, cups and tried to see if cups would discover the printer thru the router..........but lack the skills to know how to complete that method.
I haven't tried this (my nas has the facility to share a printer over the network via usb port), but I would guess that, buried somewhere in your router's web interface, there is a means to set-up the printer share.

My goal is.....because it is a wireless printer......to connect to it TC using the wireless dongle.......a little similar to those who have laptops with wireless devices.
that's what I do, but it is via the router not directly to the printer:

$ avahi-browse -at
+   eth1 IPv4 AirPrint HPOfficeJetG85 @ macminitc           _ipp._tcp            local
where eth1 is the wireless port on my laptop - basically the macmini is sharing the printer, but you would see something similar if the router were sharing the printer.

It is also possible I am thinking wrong..........neighbours using MS I assume would need to google what my SSID for my printer meant in terms of driver, download that driver and then install it on Windows in order to have a go at connecting to my printer.........but even if they do.......they don't get access to my internet due to my wireless router security......................so it might worth a shot me............trying NOT to use HP wireless security.
What I've found is that you need to connect any ms machines directly to the printer via the usb port to force them to dnownload and install the correct driver. You then install bonjour on the windows machines, which allows them to see the printer over wireless and finally you choose the driver installed when they were connected directly via usb.

aus9

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:04:12 AM »
ok

my setup changes to
tce-load -i cups avahi wifi wl-rtl8712u-3.0.21-tinycore firmware
sudo rmmod 8139too
sudo modprobe r8712u
sudo /usr/local/bin/wifi.sh -a 2>&1 > /tmp/wifi.log

I need the net to get avahi to work
sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/avahi start
sudo avahi-browse -at
+  wlan0 IPv4 box                                           _ssh._tcp            local
+  wlan0 IPv4 box                                           _udisks-ssh._tcp     local
+  wlan0 IPv4 box [00:0d:81:a2:e3:4e]                       _workstation._tcp    local
+  wlan0 IPv4 box                                           _sftp-ssh._tcp       local

This is for hp wireless on but not sending WPS or PIN

my HP report shows my HP MAC, so it looks like I can discount line 3.

will test shortly with PIN being sent
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:23:59 PM by aus9 »

aus9

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 03:06:59 AM »
retested with HP sending PIN, just as well I posted above so I can the output.

No change so far.

Another problem I have this way is this, if I can't see and connect to the printer, how am I supposed to give it a static address?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 03:14:33 AM »
I believe you'll need to see "_ipp._tcp" using avahi-browse before you'll be able to connect to any printer.

Did you try to connect to your router using the wireless setup on your printer - as a first pass you could set dhcp to auto as long as your router is set as a dhcp server.

You set the static address on your printer (along with the gateway/dns servers shown on your router) - you just need to check that it falls within the router's allowable range of addresses - 192.168.1.150 would be a good place to start.

Edit: see static ip screenshot attached, 192.168.1.1 is the router and the subnet mask and dns servers are read from the router browser interface
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:51:59 AM by Juanito »

aus9

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:28 AM »
Question Which gui did you use for that static setting pls?

##############

First successful print to wireless printer

1 Here is what I did, I re-looked at your suggestion on router to printer....wireless and stayed with ethernet connection (for this test) Desktop tower to router
2 I relooked at trying to do WPS and found this screen .....finally in my router

Note: WEP security, WPA authentication and TKIP encryption are not supported with WPS enabled.
For network security, it is strongly recommended to enable wireless security and use WPA2-PSK AES encryption

Note this means for this test I have no security enabled wireless broadcast.........a bit of worry for me. I just did one text file print and then disabled wireless. I don't care that I may have to do it all over again.

3) start cups but because I am using ethernet, avahi not started
4) then I get this screen......inside the cups web page....I chose the discovered one, modded image as forgot to click into radio button before snapshot

continue to next image

You will notice that my address is similar to our French friend but my ip differs umm lets call it sub-domain?

HP can print reports so some small snippets are
a) URL for embedded web server= http://192.168.1.102 .....................YES
b) wireless status connected......but it now takes on the SSID of my router = Tinycore
c) Authenication = open system no encryption..............I may be able to change this..............but I don't plan to use wireless this way unless I can fix it
d) for router it supplies the BSSID channel 6 Privacy disabled blank Authentication blank Encyption signal number and WPS=yes
e) troubleshooting.....no problems found

Tested one text file only then wireless router turned off.

Once again......thanks heaps for your help and patience

----I am not happy with using current setup......I need to find a better way of giving it some security.....but its the first success

thats enough for tonite.

TODO
I will try again tomorrow with luck and try the PIN method to see if I can enable some security to wireless for router

Then relook at usb lead into router

I think at this stage......I agree with you on desktop tower wireless avahi-browse.....if no IPP found then no go

also need to test desktop tower....fully wireless to router to wireless printer

sorry I know some spelling mistakes too tired

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:31:04 PM by aus9 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 07:24:44 AM »
Question Which gui did you use for that static setting pls?
it was from the browser interface for my wireless ap - since the wireless hp printer is on another continent...

Here is what I did, I re-looked at your suggestion on router to printer....wireless and stayed with ethernet connection (for this test) Desktop tower to router
..and the printer was connected by usb cable to the router?

Note: WEP security, WPA authentication and TKIP encryption are not supported with WPS enabled.
For network security, it is strongly recommended to enable wireless security and use WPA2-PSK AES encryption
you can disable wps, enable wpa2 aes and use the wifi extension to connect

aus9

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »
and the printer was connected by usb cable to the router?

Desktop tower _______________ ethernet cable__________________ to modem/router  -   -     -     wireless signal to   - --    -    -    HP

I had tried that other option but the success is this diagram.

2) Altho I don't have time this morning, I now know I can config my router to use MAC filtering. So I have deleted my MAC for HP in above post and will add my MACs for tower and HP later.

now that I am more alert, do you agree to this statement?

HP wireless printers do not send or allow encryption themselves.

I am thinking the wireless PIN that the HP screen shows, instead of selecting WPS is just a replacement for routers that do not have a WPS button. And if that is correct my earlier comment in my router about ...........WEP security, WPA authentication and TKIP encryption are not supported with WPS enabled.
-------means while I use pure wireless to hp printer...........security is turned off.

Therefore MAC filtering or some extra measures must be taken.

3)  Now we know that some people are using an usb lead into the wireless router. But in yesterday's tests I was unable to get cups to see it etc.

my knowledge is incremental so I am likely to improve over the next few days eh?

thanks for reading
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:24:44 PM by aus9 »

aus9

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
you can disable wps, enable wpa2 aes and use the wifi extension to connect

To do that, I have to use the usb dongle wireless device as the desktop tower has no wireless device. And I thought I did this way using wifi.sh and could not connect as per post 1........but if you notice, the output screen suggests the printer is not encrypted.

But wifi still failed..........until I work out how it can be done.

Of course if you know, feel free to put me out of my misery.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »
now that I am more alert, do you agree to this statement?

HP wireless printers do not send or allow encryption themselves.

As menioned earlier, I don't have access at the moment to the hp all-in-one that had wired/wireless, but I'm pretty sure that it had wpa and/or wpa2 encryption (I could be mistaken).

aus9

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »
fair enough I shall test more later.

First a short mini-howto enable wireless MAC filtering in case I am right?

When I have desktop tower _______eth cable_______to modem/router run
sudo ifconfig  .....and grab the MAC which is the string to the right of HWaddr for eth entry

When I have desktop tower___wireless usb dongle-----wireless signal ----- to modem/router  ......after connection using wifi.sh run
sudo ifconfig  .....and grab the MAC which is the string to the right of HWaddr for wlan0 entry

Currently I have printed a number of reports from the HP printer so a quick guide is ---after HP has booted up,
the window says.....................and above that window you need to have the wireless light on solid or blinking
Setup
Black Copy  x 0
Color Copy  x 0

There are 3 buttons to the left of that screen, press the top button next to setup ----press the middle button for Printer Report
-----if you have wireless flashing or wireless light solid, you will get a number of pages
-------------if you have not pressed the wireless button, you will only get one page report which LACKS the MAC so be aware you need to have the blue light on please.

From the correct "blue light on (flashing or solid) you will get the Hardware Address = MAC details

I then enter all of these into my router, some people will of course only have the HP and their computer MAC but I have 2 ways of getting their so need 3 entries.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but please copy and paste......if you make a typo thru poor eye sight etc, you may have to reset your router which takes time and may increase your stress levels.

As you can guess, I am trying to find ways to connect and print to my wireless printer...............and record how to do it, to help others. Next is a router config screen......I have TP-link modem/router with VOIP.........YMMV

You may be able to copy and paste the HP MAC if you connect the printer direct to computer with USB cable. But I have not tried this method, so this is the only one I typed in manually

good luck

PS the  HP printer report is not dependent on you setting up the printer with CUPS, its an independent report and knows nothing about Linux connections AFAIK

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:35:26 PM by aus9 »