WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: At the LinuxQuestions.org Forum adviced me to post this in here...  (Read 8380 times)

Offline Benny7440

Have a Compaq HP laptop with 512 MB of RAM, no hdd, can boot up from a Flash HDD (64 MB) containing DSL (FAT16) which is almost completely full. BonEcho is the browser coming with DSL but it's an old OS & can't be used with some of my favorite sites.

Does someone here knows enough of DSL from ver 2.4.* to 4.2.5 to guide me in upgrading or switching from FF to something more current? I d/l vers. 4.2.5 & 4.4.10 isos, how difficult it might be to update the OS itself? By doing the latter, can I solve/alleviate some of my issues?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: At the LinuxQuestions.org Forum adviced me to post this in here...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »
Go ask in the DSL forum.
We only support Core here.

Offline thane

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »
Uh, the forum description does say "Discussions regarding 'Leenooks' and other OS'es".

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »
IMHO perhaps a bit a stretch from "Discussions regarding 'Leenooks'" to "Direct support request specific to alien distro" - and the thread topic doesn't really support the cause...

Benny7440,
as long as you must stick to a dated system and if you must have bells and whistles browser support, you could try browsers which are relatively system agnostic, I could think of Opera or QtWeb.

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

aus9

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
Benny7440

If you like to try TinyCore we would love you dearly. But would you go to a Ford forum to ask about Holden? Go to where you will get correct help.

Its like me asking here for help to maintain my 6 pack of stomach muscles.......giggles

It is active   good luck

forum link removed
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:26:17 AM by aus9 »

Offline thane

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 08:17:03 PM »
I'm guessing that someone at LinuxQuestions thought there were people on the TCL forum who might know something about DSL, and suggested that Benny7440 try getting help here. gerald_clark's response struck me as overly brusque. aus9's response is more along the lines of what a well-intentioned (if misdirected) request for help should receive.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:20:40 PM by thane »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »
Considering the DSL history, I thought I was being kind.

Offline thane

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
It occurred to me that it was a factor in your response, but bear in mind that unless a person was here in 2009 they wouldn't know about it without digging.

aus9

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 09:36:48 PM »
The OP needs help

I fail to see how telling him there is a forum, just for him, is a mis-direction

Perception is of course in the mind of the beholder, but I am always right until proven wrong.

8)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »
I also did suggest the DSL forum.  I did not paste a url, since the DSL site sells product and is therefore a commercial site.
It is against forum policy to post links to commercial sites.

Offline thane

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »
I said the OP's request for help was misdirected, not aus9's response.

aus9

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 01:30:37 AM »
thane

my apols

gerald_clark

forum link removed

OP sorry about that.

If you do a google search for damn small linux forums, I am sure you will find the DSL forums.

Otherwise hang around here, this could be the most exciting place to stay.

2) you can use the dd command to put tinycore iso image onto a spare stick

good luck

Offline Benny7440

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »
I'm really sorry for being so naive that it indeed was a good choice to post my question about DSL in here; in fact, it sounded to me then that it was an error from the LQForum member to advice me to do so ( see link below):
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-to-update-bonecho-or-installing-flash-plugin-in-dsl2-5-*-or-both-4175412719/#post4710005

I'm including the link just in case someone here still beleive all this is an inventiion by my part, it's not.

I'm also sorry to have started (in a way) a discussion between some of you in relation to "this". Let me assure all of you that it was very unexpected by my part that it turned in the direction it took. Only can say that even though some of the replies appeared to be somehow rude I really tried to put myself in your shoes..., if I'm busy with relevant issues & someone brings me a foreign issue it would really distract me from my pertinent things at hand (priorities). So, I understand that I probably were (am) the victim of a rude joke, which I can tolerate, also...

EDIT: As far as I am concerned the issue (this post) is a SOLVED one!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:37:36 PM by Benny7440 »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »
Hmm, looking at that, not so sure the way you percept it would be the spirit being meant in.

This's to re-post a thread already in its proper (but inactive) forum!
[.....]
I hope this forum isn't as dead as the original one (the board)!

It is you yourself complaining in a generic Linux forum like LQ about lack of support in the forum of your outdated OS which you see a need to upgrade to meet your needs.

I hold it for much more likely that the user replying to you meant to suggest that you trying core in lieu of upgrading dsl might meet your needs regarding getting support for a up-to-date OS better - rather than referring you to the core forum for dsl related issues.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

aus9

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 01:03:45 AM »
Benny7440

I think LQ has a browser way of marking posts solved. I think you would like this marked solved eh?

Just modify your top post, and change the subject line beginning to

[SOLVED] blah blah

There is probably a smarter way but I am your local village idiot.  And since we do have a sense of humour here, I have resisted all attempts by newbies to wrest my dunce's hat from me.