WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: do we need a swap partition with tc?  (Read 2601 times)

Offline trembb22

do we need a swap partition with tc?
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:52:41 PM »
If we need it, how do we create it and when? can we use tc without a swap partition.
I will use a 128MB flash disk with 2gig of RAM, so if I need a swap partition, it will be small.

Offline mikshaw

Re: do we need a swap partition with tc?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:01:25 PM »
If you have a partition set as linux swap, it should be automatically detected and used unless you specify "noswap" as a kernel option.  I'm not sure how swap files are used.
You create a swap partition with a tool such as fdisk, cfdisk, or some other partitioning software...the application should give you a hint as to what type of partition is used as swap.

Offline robc

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »
I will use a 128MB flash disk with 2gig of RAM
Having a swap partition that will be that much smaller then your available RAM would not do much for you. Also using a flash device as a swap is not recommended due to its limited write cycles.
2 GB of RAM should be more then enough space for TC, I usually use either a 512MB or 1GB Compact Flash in my systems. Swap space is mainly used to store data when there is not enough space available in your RAM, kinda like a fallback space when RAM runs out so your system doesn't lock up. Most people go by the rule of having a swap space twice the size of RAM.
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:03:41 AM »
With 2gb of ram, TC has never so far used swap for me. And I do some pretty heavy-duty compiling all in ram, with tce type extensions all extracted to ram too :)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.