WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Script to make a grub iso image for 5 Alpha  (Read 3135 times)

aus9

Script to make a grub iso image for 5 Alpha
« on: June 17, 2013, 03:31:59 AM »
Hi

Title: Script to make a grub iso image for 5.x Alpha
Description: Script run as non-root will download and create an iso image that you can burn or run in virtualbox-ose or similar virtual machines. It works!

Negative: Maybe lots, I was going to research the setkey function until I discovered that grub-legacy as patched does not support the making of isohybrids. isohybrids appear to be only available thru syslinux.tcz command isohybrid

Please not that our downstream maintainers can not do anything about patching it to make it isohybrid friendly. If you do a google search you will see the question has been asked but upstreamers have moved onto grub2.

2 screenshots show the grub menu and proof it booted

the script

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dt2rnrjml2dsiu/build-iso.sh

Support
#####

As I can't progress it until someone upstream patches grub-legacy, probability zero
I won't be doing any more with this particular script.

For those who just want to use it, the script is released as GPL but you use it AT OWN RISK.

As this is only a build script and not a binary, I don't believe I need to mirror the sources. All downloads originate from TC repo.
I have no intention of hosting any resultant iso image. its just a build script, similar to the legal status (IMHO) of our get-scripts.

email me if you have any questions or comments

good luck and many thanks to the dev team for their repo.

Gordon

PS (1)

proof its not a isohybrid

Code: [Select]
fdisk -l alpha.iso

Disk alpha.iso: 16 MB, 16883712 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2 cylinders, total 32976 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk alpha.iso doesn't contain a valid partition table

PS (2) ----some light reading on "Collection of Boot Sector Formats for ISO 9660 Images"
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~libburnia-team/libisofs/scdbackup/view/head:/doc/boot_sectors.txt
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:47:43 AM by aus9 »