WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: mount mode with backup - option to download tcz-packages just to ram  (Read 2410 times)

Offline netnomad

hi friends,

sometimes i would like to use programs just once, at least not integrated in my common streamlined tiny configuration.
although i use the mount mode with backup with usbsticks, sometimes i want to download and install tcz-packages just to the ram.
No tcz-packages should be saved on the disk or remain in the local package-rep f.e. /tce.
This should be just an optional way to try packages without effects on the previously installed base.

is there a way to use something like a virtual filesystem that is made of the /tce,
that all additional downloaded tcz-packages are just virtual and disappear after the next shutdown?

thank you for your thoughts, ideas and helps.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:42:08 PM by netnomad »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: mount mode with backup - option to download tcz-packages just to ram
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:47:02 PM »
You can boot with code "base", and in case you wanted any extensions from your PPR you could copy them to /tmp/tce/optional
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline netnomad

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:21:40 AM »
hi tinypoodle,

you are right that is possible for a basic configuration.

i want to try additional packages on base of a complex restored environment with lots of preconfigured settings.

i guess that the concept of /tmp/tce/optional offers two alternatives:
1. i need to copy all my downloaded tcz-packages to /tmp/tce/optional to avoid multiple downloads for dependencies (my local rep offers 600mb with downloaded packages)
2. i start with an empty /tmp/tce/optional and all dependencies have to be downloaded again and again (that´s not convenient for several reasons)

both alternatives are not convincing :(

thank you for your cooperation.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:26:21 AM by netnomad »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:53:19 AM »
i want to try additional packages on base of a complex restored environment with lots of preconfigured settings.
Settings should not interfere with extensions at all, as dynamic versus static data is kept apart with core.

Another approach could be remastering with a "builtin" (read-only) dir of a fixed set of basic extensions and having tce dir in /tmp/tce
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)