WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: "MPPE required, but kernel has no support."  (Read 5464 times)

Offline althalus

"MPPE required, but kernel has no support."
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:04:22 PM »
So I'm trying to get PPTP working, so that I can connect to my work's VPN (My other option is to use windows when I work remotely, and I'd rather not). I'm running into the error message -

"MPPE required, but kernel has no support."

From that, I assume MPPE support hasn't been built in to the current core kernel.

1) Is that assumption even correct, or have I missed something major?
2) MPPE was merged into the kernel tree somewhere back round version 2.6 of the kernel, as I understand it. Is there a way to build just a specific module from the kernel without having to compile the entire thing?
2a) How?! (I've not had much luck with kernels - the more hand-holding, the better :) )
3) Is this something I should be tagging on to the list of things we'd like to see in the next kernel for Core?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: "MPPE required, but kernel has no support."
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:23:54 PM »
Hi althalus
MPPE is not configured in the kernel, at least not in 3.0.3. See here for a nice step by step on kernel compiling:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,14900.msg85097.html#msg85097
Is this something I should be tagging on to the list of things we'd like to see in the next kernel for Core?
You could mention here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,14983.msg85524.html#msg85524
and see what response you get.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:33:53 PM »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:25:56 AM »
Yes, MPPE support is disabled in our builds. Yes, it looks like you can build it as a module to use with the current kernel.

No time now to provide detailed instructions, perhaps someone else can help there.

The reasoning for it is that Robert didn't wish to support a proprietary, MS-only protocol. I'm ambivalent about it, but I'll respect what Robert says. The discussion is public and at least a couple years old if my memory is correct.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline althalus

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »
See here for a nice step by step on kernel compiling:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,14900.msg85097.html#msg85097
Thanks Rich, that link was exactly what I needed. Module built and PPTP now works.

The reasoning for it is that Robert didn't wish to support a proprietary, MS-only protocol. I'm ambivalent about it, but I'll respect what Robert says. The discussion is public and at least a couple years old if my memory is correct.
I can understand that reasoning, but given the prevailence of PPTP VPNs, making the module available as an extension would be nice.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
Hi althalus
.... given the prevailence of PPTP VPNs, making the module available as an extension would be nice.
You are welcome to package and submit it as an extension.