WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TCL on a pendrive to run an Asus EeePC 1000HA?  (Read 29314 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: TCL on a pendrive to run an Asus EeePC 1000HA?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 07:47:07 AM »
Hi Mike7
I would strongly recommend you use the installer bmarkus created:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/core2usb/files/core2usb-stable/
It was written with exactly your situation in mind, a machine currently running Windows with no CD drive.

Offline Mike7

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »
Hi, Rich.

You wrote:

I would strongly recommend you use the installer bmarkus created:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/core2usb/files/core2usb-stable/
It was written with exactly your situation in mind, a machine currently running Windows with no CD drive.

I downloaded it and am planning to try it as a last resort. However, as I don' t know how it works and have had so much trouble with all other methods, even if it does install TCL on my pendrive I will have learned nothing from it, and I still won't be able to install anything else, like another distro or a bootable antimalware program.

This is an important learning experience for me, and as you know we learn more from our mistakes and from failure than from easy successes that we don't understand. Just messing with dd.exe has taught me a lot. So has searching for the reasons why syslinux and grub4dos aren't working. I didn't even know what a partition or an MBR was a month ago.

So, yes, I probably will end up giving core2usb a try. But I'm not too excited about a magic solution, if you get my meaning. I won't get any satisfaction from it, because I won't have solved the question of why I can't install in the usual ways.

Plus, suppose core2usb doesn't work. Imagine how I'll feel then.

Cheers!

Mike
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »
Hi Mike7
But I'm not too excited about a magic solution, if you get my meaning. I won't get any satisfaction from it, because I won't have solved the question of why I can't install in the usual ways.
Tinycore is not your usual Linux and does not install in the usual way. Core2usb is not a magic solution. From the
core2usb summary page at SourceForge:
WIndows program to install Tiny Core Linux on USB stick.
You'll note it is not listed as a Linux installer, but is specific to Tinycore because Tinycore is different. The same
is true of the  tcinstall  program except it is Linux based. Once you have Tinycore installed to USB there will be
no shortage of things you can learn.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 06:51:54 PM »
Addressing partitions from windows with dd is neither a usual way.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Mike7

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 07:20:11 PM »
Hi, Rich.

Tinycore is not your usual Linux and does not install in the usual way. Core2usb is not a magic solution.  . . You'll note it is not listed as a Linux installer, but is specific to Tinycore because Tinycore is different. The same is true of the  tcinstall  program except it is Linux based. Once you have Tinycore installed to USB there will be no shortage of things you can learn.

Okay, now I just have to get up the courage to face another possible failure. You see, I've tried over a hundred installations over the past month (no exaggeration), and the only ones that worked were the first two I tried: Kaspersky Rescue Disk and Puppeee 4.4. After those, zilch. Hundreds of hours down the tube, and I'm a nervous wreck and can't sleep. Literally.

I've become convinced that I messed up my computer or the BIOS or my pendrives somehow and that I will never be able to boot anything else on this machine. If core2usb doesn't work, that will be the proof. So you can understand my anxiety about it.

Mike
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline Mike7

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
Hi, tinypoodle.

Addressing partitions from windows with dd is neither a usual way.

Someone in another forum talked me into trying it. However, they either weren't aware of the difficulties and dangers involved or just neglected to inform me. In either case, it hasn't worked and may have done dammage.

I have no one to blame but myself.

Cheers!

Mike

Offline Mike7

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
Hi, All.

Just a quick note to say that I have not left this thread nor given up on a pendrive installation. I just have to fix my leaky roof and my hot water heater (which blew up a week ago), as well as buy another pendrive.

I'll be back here as soon as my house problems are fixed (if I'm not flooded out first <grin>).

Cheers!

Mike

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 10:52:19 AM »
Hmmm...

If you run Tiny Core on the new water heater, it will probably run faster, be less prone to malfunctions and have more room for the actual water.  You might want to look into the new water-resistant pendrives. (1)

I'm sure there's a Tiny Core  metaphor for the leaky roof, too.  :D

Good luck with the home repairs.  If you have kids, you might want to look into a "high recovery" water heater. (2)

(1) I made that up about the water resistant pendrive.
(2) That one's for real.

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline Mike7

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »
Hi, Lee.

Too bad about the water-resistant pendrives, they'd have sure been nice in this climate <grin>.

I might just try running the water heater with TCL. Plenty of room in one for a 4Gb RAM chip. I'm thinking a servo-controlled valve on the water intake.

No, no kids (that I know about) <big grin>.

M.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 09:43:52 PM »
Actually, the first pendrive I ever owned ( DaneElec 256 MB ) fell out of my pocket in my gravel parking area, in snow, experienced the great outdoors for over a month and got a small car and possibly a mini van parked on it several times and still worked.  I did have to do reconstructive surgery on the metal USB plug to be able to plug it in.  It died just a few weeks later, but by then I had all my data safely backed up to newer, bigger stick.

Regarding
Too bad about the water-resistant pendrives, they'd have sure been nice in this climate <grin>.

Which climate would that be?  To coin a phrase, "On the internet, no one knows you're Pittsburgher."    :)
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 11:42:34 PM »
I might just try running the water heater with TCL. Plenty of room in one for a 4Gb RAM chip. I'm thinking a servo-controlled valve on the water intake.

http://hackaday.com/2011/02/23/self-regulating-water-heater/
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)