WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Long Boot Times after Remaster  (Read 9626 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Long Boot Times after Remaster
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »
Hi newtotinycore
Why TinyCore is booted using USB 2 mode, while the remaster is booted using USB 1 is not clear to me.
I don't think that's the case. Look at the   .gz  file on your Tinycore USB drive. How does it compare in size to the
one on the remastered drive? It's probably a lot smaller, which is why it boots faster.

Offline newtotinycore

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 12:17:14 AM »
tinypoodle,
-I'm not clear what you mean by "boot remastered core.gz from a different boot medium".
Tried to install remastered TinyCore.iso to DVD, but DVD was not mountable.
Any boot medium other than pendrive, i.e. cd, hdd, netboot

You need to burn .iso as image to cd
-For some reason the old HP can no longer recognize the CD drive.
I installed the remastered iso to a usb hard drive.
The boot time for the usb hard drive was about the same 5 minutes as for the usb drive.
Hi newtotinycore
Why TinyCore is booted using USB 2 mode, while the remaster is booted using USB 1 is not clear to me.
I don't think that's the case. Look at the   .gz  file on your Tinycore USB drive. How does it compare in size to the
one on the remastered drive? It's probably a lot smaller, which is why it boots faster.

-good call, Rich.
The remastered core.gz is 69987623 bits vs 5385057; a thirteen fold increase.
When I mentioned 5 minute remaster boot time vs 30 sec for the original, I did not use a stopwatch.
I thought a remaster was like a carbon copy of the source system.
Guess I better do some reading on the TinyCore wiki to see what is going on.
Seems like the increased size of a remaster, could hamper the use of old machines.

Thanks,
Bob

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 01:03:08 AM »
5 minutes sounds still very long for the bootloader to load around 70MB into RAM...
Try a boot method which leaves USB out of the equation?

BTW, a PC which can boot via USB2.0 ports can't be that old...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:04:57 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »
Hi newtotinycore
I haven't used ezremaster myself, but I'm guessing you used the  extract TCZ to initrd  option which is probably
why your  core.gz  grew to 66Mbytes.

Offline newtotinycore

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »
5 minutes sounds still very long for the bootloader to load around 70MB into RAM...
Try a boot method which leaves USB out of the equation?

-Good idea, unfortunately, I can not currently boot from CD or install to new HD.
 You're right about 5 minutes being a long time to load 70MB; a newer (4 years old) computer with an i5 processor, also using USB 2.0, only needs a second or two. Maybe it's the Pentium 4 processor, or maybe as Gerald Clark suggested, the BIOS prefers USB 1 for loading. There seem to be a number of BIOS issues that I've been unable to resolve.

BTW, a PC which can boot via USB2.0 ports can't be that old...

-8 or 9 years, isn't that considered ancient by today's standards?

Hi newtotinycore
I haven't used ezremaster myself, but I'm guessing you used the  extract TCZ to initrd  option which is probably
why your  core.gz  grew to 66Mbytes.

-You're right about me using 'extract TCZ to initrd', thanks for the tip; I'll try the other options.

The old HP might be running out of steam (so am I , actually), but with the help of Tiny Core and all you people on the forum, it's still useful,
Bob

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 07:45:49 PM »
Hi newtotinycore
I still don't understand why you are re-mastering. Simply do an install to a USB thumb drive. Then use the Apps utility to
install any apps you want. If you wish to duplicate the USB thumb drive, do an install to it. Then just copy the /tce
directory from the master to the new drive.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:48:37 PM by Rich »

Offline newtotinycore

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 12:10:59 AM »
Hi newtotinycore
I still don't understand why you are re-mastering. Simply do an install to a USB thumb drive. Then use the Apps utility to
install any apps you want. If you wish to duplicate the USB thumb drive, do an install to it. Then just copy the /tce
directory from the master to the new drive.

Great tip, Rich! I was remastering because I didn't know about copying the /tce directory.

FWIW, a remaster to a thumb drive on my old HP took 5 minutes to load. Booting the remaster from HDD takes about 15 seconds.

Bob