WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Can anyone explain how to run cgminer(program for bitcoin mining) in Tiny Core?  (Read 7996 times)

Offline death

I want to use that small linux distro for bitcoin mining with cgminer or another similar mining program.
I need to know what other stuff need install to get work that cgminer?
Because i try it already but cannot run.
I know that i need videocard driver but not sure abaut what else i need.
I got it worked with Ubuntu x64(with this: http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/cgminer-2.10.4-x86_64-built.tar.bz2), but with Tiny Core, i cannot... (i used 32 bit version in Tiny Core)
Also u need to know that, im not very familiar with linux. I know most of regular things only. Like browsing in terminal, update, use some comands and etc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:36:17 PM by death »

Offline Alex_B

Well, first off, TinyCoreLinux isn't a turn-key solution as compared to Ubuntu Linux is. With that being said, in case you didn't read CGMINER's README file, here is a list of dependencies.

Dependencies:
   curl dev library    
   (libcurl4-openssl-dev)

curses dev library
   (libncurses5-dev or libpdcurses on WIN32)

pkg-config      
   libtool         
   AMD APP SDK         (This sdk is mandatory for GPU mining)
   AMD ADL SDK      
   (This sdk is mandatory for ATI GPU monitoring & clocking)
   libudev headers
   (This is only required for ASIC+FPGA auto-detection and is linux only)
   libusb headers
   (This is only required for ASIC+FPGA support)

Now, there is no ATI FGLRX or NVidia Detonator (restricted) drivers for this distribution, which puts you at a distinct disadvantage, you would have to do CPU mining only, such as Poolers CPU Miner (minerd).

This is the trick, you need to have a card that is capable of OpenCL, you need the restricted driver from the manufacturer and would work with this distribution of Linux. You need to download the correct version of the CGMINER, in this case, even if you have a 64-bit system and more than 4 GiB RAM you still need to use a 32-bit version of CGMINER because TinyCore and TinyCorePlus are both 32-bit.

Once you get past all of those hurdles, you have to make sure you have the correct version of gcc and supporting libraries to make and install all the required applications and libraries listed above. 

After you've done that, then you can either download or have an existing configuration and run it for the first time.

Just a note, I haven't seen the correct version of gcc listed in the repositories here in TinyCore and besides, not having everything else you need, the libraries from AMD is a killer too.

If you really want to run something like CGMINER, I would get a normal Ubuntu Server edition and download it, assuming you're comfortable working in console / terminal. Because with the server edition you can load and install the drivers by command line and don't have to worry about X-Windows and the GUI sitting on top of that. Essentially you tweak and tune that server distro to remove unwanted / unneeded cron jobs and useless drivers from the start conf files.

While I don't like to shoo you or anyone else away from TinyCore and TinyCorePlus, this is not an operating system distribution of Linux for newbies and it's scant for the correct drivers you are looking for, that's the reason.

Another possibility is Slackware in console / text mode or a branch of Slackware in text mode called, VectorLinux.

I hope this helps you and sorry for the late response, this is the first time I saw this post.

-Alex

Offline genec

Less turnkey: Core64: 64b kernel, 32b userspace; Even less turnkey: CorePure64: 64b kernel, 64b userspace.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Also, last I checked, fglrx could not be used for OpenCL without an X server.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline guytechie

It'd be interesting to get TinyCore into a thin client such as a Wyse WinTerm (x86-based) and run bfgminer with USB Block Erupters.  More interesting if it autostarts so it can run headless.  Would be an alternative to Rasberry Pi's Mine Peon solution for those who already have a small x86-based thin client.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
It should be completely doable, you just need to get the linux driver for that device.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.