WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: keyboard issues in X  (Read 4664 times)

Offline protaganist

keyboard issues in X
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:25 AM »
 Got a couple of problems with my keyboard layout. i have a UK keyboard but TC sees it as a US layout. I googled and found i either needed to install  kmaps (fbxkb?) but they aren't yet in the Pi repo or use setxkbmap which the system doesn't recognize.
 At a push i can live with a US layout for now, it's a pain but manageable. The other problem is more serious, at the prompt all is fine but when i fire up FLWM none of the cursor keys work and this makes editing text impossible unless i drop out of FLWM to a prompt, edit what i want at the command line and then startx again, hardly ideal:).
 Any ideas anyone?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: keyboard issues in X
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »
Right, I aware the issue. Xorg is a very early build (I mean in piCore terms) and must be revisited, probably rebuild. Its main purpose to provide a basis to build system components. It's a beta system :)

BTW, on my keyboard extended keys (Home, End, ...) are dead, but numpad keys are working. Not my favorite, but works.

In the mean time maybe importing Xorg from Raspbian works. Worth to try.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline protaganist

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
 Not really sure how to go about importing Xorg from Raspbian but i'll google it and in the meanwhile i'll simply put up with it.
 Cheers, Protaganist.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
Don't think Google can help in import, but Robert :)
Béla

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:15:25 PM »
The kmaps binaries should be portable between arches, so you could just try copying kmaps.tcz over (assuming the busybox build has loadkmap).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline protaganist

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »
 I imported the i386 kmaps.tcz and it will indeed set a UK keyboard in both Picore and in the actual command line on PicoreX but not in the terminal with X running. I think bmarkus is saying that Xorg selects the keyboard layout whilst X is running and that is where the current problem lies? Still at least i now have a UK keyboard in Picore and we now know the i386 binaries work so anyone else with a keyboard layout issue can do the same thing.
 On my keyboard none of the extended keys work, no home, delete, cursor or anything so editing files in vi is impossible, i have to ctrl-alt-f1 to edit stuff at the command prompt but i can live with that for now especially with a UK layout.
 Thanks for the help, Protaganist.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
Yes, Xorg uses its own keymaps, not the console ones.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline SamK

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 10:44:12 PM »
...Xorg selects the keyboard layout whilst X is running and that is where the current problem lies?
This topic might help http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,14661.0.html

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 12:36:25 AM »
Xorg-7.6.tcz updated in the repo. It solves the missing cursor and editing keys issues.

If you are using Picore-X with preinstalled Xorg, update XOrg-7.6.tcz in /mnt/mmcblk0/p1/cde
Béla