WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Update: PicorePlayerV10 = Squeezelite on piCore with SSH, WiFi and set-up script  (Read 92152 times)

Offline Greg Erskine

14 January 2016

Hi all.

We are ready to release a major update to piCorePlayer - so we decided to call it version 2.00.

The major changes are:
  • Only one version of piCorePlayer, but it can now run on all known Raspberry Pi boards. So you can use the same piCorePlayer image for all your players.
  • Shairport-sync is supported and can be enabled from the "tweaks" page. It will automatically show on your iDevice (iPad or iPhone) with the name you have given your piCorePlayer. This means that you now can stream from your iDevices to piCorePlayer. It will automatically switch from squeezelite to shairport and vice versa. Just stop/pause either squeezelite or Shairport.
  • piCorePlayer menu applet in Jivelite. This means that you will have a specific piCorePlayer menu in Jivelite. From here you can reboot and save eventual changes from within Jivelite. This menu is installed from your running LMS server. At the bottom of the Plugin page in LMS you will need to add piCorePlayer repo: http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/repo.xml Save.
    • Then you go to Jivelite on the piCorePlayer. Settings - Advanced - Applet installer - piCorePlayer menu - Install.
    • Next use the arrow in the top left corner to get to the main menu. Choose "quit" in the bottom of the screen (this will restart Jivelite - so the piCorePlayer menu is visible).
    • Go to Settings - choose piCorePlayer and select "Save settings to SD-card"
  • Kernel updated to 4.1.13 and piCore to version 7.0.

IMPORTANT: Because this version is so different from the others it is not possible to use the "In situ" upgrade/downgrade system to go down from version 2.00 to a previous version. If you for some reason want to use an older version you will have to download the previous version and burn it to your SD-card.

Please try it out. For this version Ralphy has been a tremendous help and he build the shairport-sync with all its dependencies. Kolossos made the piCorePlayer menu script.

Download

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/download

Regards
Greg, Ralphy and Steen
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:54:19 PM by Greg Erskine »

Offline Robbrad

On off relays via gpio is a different mechanism than cec.   Just curious how you are doing cec on/off

I had quite a bit of success with CEC - but the hardware im controlling is different. All depends on what CEC commands your devices accept.

Here is how I did it, basically when you press the power button on a player, it sends a CEC command to the connected device and powers it on.

I adapted a plugin wernerL started... (happy to post full code)

Plug-in in Squeeze Center:

Reads the button press on the player, and ssh'ed onto the player, then ran a bash script

Then a script on the player is something like this

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

powerStatus=$(echo "pow 5" | cec-client -s -d 1 |grep "power status" |cut -d ' ' -f 3)
if [ "$powerStatus" = "standby" ]; then
echo "Powering On Amp....."
echo "on 5" | cec-client -s -d 1
fi

powerStatus=$(echo "pow 5" | cec-client -s -d 1 |grep "power status" |cut -d ' ' -f 3)
if [ "$powerStatus" = "on" ]; then
echo "Powering Off Amp....."
echo "standby 5" | cec-client -s -d 1
fi

So cec-client is the tool I used to use to check the power state and send the commands, which is part of LibCEC -http://libcec.pulse-eight.com/

I have gained permission from Pulse Eight to use the Lib and Steen has said we can try to get this working with piCorePlayer - but we need the support from Tiny Core first to enable the RPi's HDMI CEC capability.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
but we need the support from Tiny Core first to enable the RPi's HDMI CEC capability.

What do you mean? cdc-acm kernel module is part of the base. All others are just userspace programs.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Robbrad

So does that mean that cec-client would work?

Im sure we would need lib-cec compiling into the OS ? more than happy to be proved wrong :)

Offline TabbMulroy

As per my knowledge these files related to split up of the RAM to system/video. Better to keep them intact and change only config.txt if necessary.
Regarding image, create a small second ext4 partion which is big enough to keep your extensions and have same free space for additional extension later and for backap file, mydata.gz Then save it with dd specifying sectors with count=nnn option part of the first two partions.

Offline jgrulich

• GRULICH DESIGN - R&D Lab.
How to redirect the jivelite to the attached tft on /dev/fb1?
I've tried to redirect it via fbset, but no lucky.

Offline jgrulich

Strange, it's not working on the tft even when I've installed TC and run it from the x-window.

Offline Robbrad

Bit more progress with HDMI CEC

I used a package Steen compile for me libCEC.tcz

I was able to load this into the usr/local/lib folder but then got an error libbcm_host.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I found this was part of rpi-videocore.tcz - so tried loading that - but now im getting an error about

liblockdev.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Cannot load libcec.so

http://www.robertbradley.co.uk/libCEC.zip

I cant find liblockdev.so.1 for tiny core - so have hit a bit of a brick wall, can anyone assist, im a total Tiny Core Linux noob so all this tcz installing is a bit new to me(but im learning)

Offline jgrulich

The TinyCore is really minimal and highly optimized distro.
I'm using regular Rasbian Light on another SD card to get the libs and other what is not already in the TinyCore repository.
When working on Rasbian, than simply copy/paste to the TC and when make the .tcz from that.

Offline Greg Erskine

18 June 2016 - piCorePlayer 2.06

Please try the new version piCorePlayer 2.06.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/picoreplayer/files/insitu/piCorePlayer2.06/piCorePlayer2.06.img/download

This is a bug-fix version. A major part of the underlying code has been rewritten, but the appearance have not changed much.

Changes:
  • piCore updated - where the libstdc++ exception bug is fixed.
  • Improved ALSA settings on the Squeezelite page.
  • Fixed the issue when trying to move LMS cache to attached Fat based USB disk.
  • Improved the update process further.
  • Numerous small bug-fixes.

NB: Please notice that you will need to install this version from 2.05. In addition, it is not possible to downgrade to a previous version anymore.

This will probably be the latest release based on kernel 4.1.

We have now started working on a major pCP update based on kernel 4.4 that contains a lot of interesting and important fixes for I2S-audio DACs.

Offline kappclark

• Clark-Hart Genealogy
I wanted to commend this group for your cooperation in developing this fabulous player -- just got it setup on another RPI3, and no issues...so much with so little !
*    Bill Clark     *
* Windham, VT *

Offline ghulse

-Hi guys,

I'm having a very hard time setting up a Rasberry Pi 2 with the latest version of PcP 2.06. I've also tried an older version (1.19l) because that's what's currently running on another Rasberry Pi 2, and it works great.

I'm running LMS on a MacMini with Snow Leopard. As I said, my one PcP player works great. I use it all the time.

I burned the PcP image to an 16GB SD card and have the Rasberry Pi connected to an ethernet hub plugged into the Airport Extreme. But it doesn't show up in LMS or on the network that I can see. I don't know if there are different settings in the Airport that I can try. I'm racking my brain. What else can I try?

By the way, I did plug the Rasberry Pi into the TV to make sure that it is booting correctly, and it seems to be. I also reboot the MacMini after the Rasberry Pi boots. Maybe I should reboot the router too?

My apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:50:35 AM by ghulse »

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
Did you change the name of your other player.   The images will default to piCorePlayer.   But you wouldn't want both to be the same name.

If your still not seeing it on the network, then you will need to watch the boot process.....at the end of the process, it will report it's ip address.

Offline ghulse

Thanks Paul, the other player is named "Picore Digi" because it's equipped with a HiFiBerry Digi DAC. So that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll do as you suggest. We have our Airport Extreme in a rather inconvenient place, but I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Offline ghulse

Well, weird problem. The boot screen goes by so fast I can't read it. And the Page Up on my Mac keyboard doesn't seem to work. What ends up on the screen isthe  Tiny Core logo plus "Core is distributed with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY!"

But I videotaped (slow motion) as the screen was flying by and did a screen grab. Is there supposed to be more than this?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:39:07 PM by ghulse »