WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: VMWare Player TCB tftp server  (Read 5491 times)

Offline musasabi

VMWare Player TCB tftp server
« on: December 09, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
Greetings all,

I am in need of a simple tftp server to run in VMWare Player. I chose Tiny Core because it seemed the most straight forward. While I've got a lot of Slack/Gentoo/Arch experience, I've never played with a minimalist distro before, though, so I'm stuck on some basics.

I found http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=13781.0 in my searches for how to configure a static IP. I followed it for myself all the way down to the file missing on boot, but I don't understand the last two posts. In specific, I'm not sure where that corrected line should go. I looked in /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and found the KERNEL line, but it already has a UUID value in for the tce parameter. I replaced it with /dev/sda1 just to see what happened, but nothing was different upon reboot.

Once I get the IP set, the next step will be configuring the TFTP server and making sure it's running at every boot. I'm not sure how to do that, nor did Googling turn up much that applied to TC.

FYI, I chose not to install X on this VM.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. =)

Offline musasabi

Re: VMWare Player TCB tftp server
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:44:45 PM »
Oh, whoops. Seems replacing the UUID with /dev/sda1 made /dev/sda1 fail to mount on boot. Well, good thing reinstalling is so quick.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 06:10:55 AM »
The base includes busybox tftpd. To launch it on boot, put your command in /opt/bootlocal.sh, and run a backup.

It has no config file, all options are given as arguments.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:12:42 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline genec

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 05:30:31 AM »
I typically install the tftpd on the host, either atftpd (for better logging) or tftpd-hpa (for larger files; trying to go to HTTP for this).