WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: CorePhone - possible?  (Read 5977 times)

Offline Zendrael

• Zendrael's home of projects
CorePhone - possible?
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:52:36 AM »
Hello all!

As Core now works in ARM devices, could it be used in an ARM v7 SmartPhone? Maybe an Atrix (MB860) with Tegra2?

IF it could run on it, which modules would be necessary to make a "call app"?

Some drivers writen for android could be ported on it?

Just and idea... maybe with the e17 touch interface...

Thanks for the attention!

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: CorePhone - possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:23:15 AM »
A huge amount of work for little gain, with almost always a very limited and old Android kernel being all that is available.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:27:09 AM »
I see ubuntu just released a smartphone version - what arch is that for?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:28:11 AM »
Announced not released, the release is 1-2 years away ;)

Offline Zendrael

• Zendrael's home of projects
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »
Between Android and the B2G (FirefoxOS) I still prefer the Mozilla way. Ok, it has the android Kernel to improve device compatibility but hey, what kind of marvelous OS it would be if it has the structure of the Core?

Wondering about a CorePhone with Wayland... light HTML5 apps... I don't think that just a dream. Meego (Tizen), Bada, and now Ubuntu proves that the Android kernel is not THAT necessary. (ok, Ubuntu "phones" seems to use it, but just a part of it...) - Remember the time of the OpenMoko?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:15:55 AM »
Remember the time of the OpenMoko?

Quite. They had to limit their hardware a lot to be able to get open-source drivers, and even then some parts were not able to be used with FOSS.

Offline naf456

• Humbell
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 06:04:29 AM »
Just Why? - isn't android good enough? I can't see how phones could possible get anything from running a core project - your just going to waste alot of resources.
I still think Ubuntu for phones is just stupid - canonical is already struggling keeping there desktop platform up - they have still got alot of work to do there, and now  their just going to send developers off to build something which is going to mean absolutely nothing in the end.

Having arm support isn't bad neither. Customers want cheaper and smaller computers , without sacrificing power.
thanks to the boom of mobile devices and ARM processors - developing a usable micro computer for under £50 is possible
-It's what I have been looking into past these last couple of weeks - £35 ultra portable dual core 1.6Ghz linux boxes.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover" - Mark Twain