WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Wine on tiny core  (Read 3088 times)

Offline sirdabalot

Wine on tiny core
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:18:11 AM »
Hi guys,

The first thing I want to say is I'm new here, so please don't hurt me.  ;) What I would like to know is if wine is any less functional on tiny core than on other distributions of linux, I seem to encounter many problems with wine when running apps that have been reported to work in the app DB. Is it because I use wine version 1.4 and everyone else uses 1.2 or something? Just so you know I started with micro core, and installed ATI drivers and a GUI. If anyone has ideas as to what may be causing my problems, please tell me. I don't think it's necessary to include wine logs because I get problems with nearly all applications. Oh yeah and I can only start steam with sudo wine, does anyone know why that might be and if it could be causing a problem?

EDIT: By the way, as a last resort, could someone help me install the latest version of wine but make it micro core specific? Meaning what dependencies would I have to install and stuff...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:52:44 AM by sirdabalot »

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: Wine on tiny core
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:40:17 AM »
Wine 1.4 is the latest stable branch. 1.2 was the old stable branch. Personally I could hardly verify the App DB ratings. Often a bronze or silver status only refers to "installation successful" but that doesn't mean it will start up at all right away. You may need to tweak wine with specific libraries, fonts, etc. (check winetricks for that). Wine in general relies on most of the usual Linux software stack (Xorg, alsa, glib2, fontconfig, cups, openssl, etc.), so at build time there is not much of a difference to other distros. But problems may arise from details like have a working 3D Xorg and so on. Without output or logs however my guesses are limited. ;)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline sirdabalot

Re: Wine on tiny core
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:43:00 AM »
-snip-

Thanks, so it's more or less fiddle to see what happens... are there any sort of guides out there to help people get things working on their own? Because all these library over-ride thingies... a newb can get confused.  :D

EDIT: Isn't winetricks on the repository outdated? I can't seem to find the dotnet40 download, and a few things don't work at all, I assume it's because it points to a broken link.
EDIT EDIT: Nevermind, was easy enough to update.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 04:02:58 AM by sirdabalot »