WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Bon Echo  (Read 6375 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Bon Echo
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:41:58 PM »
bonecho is the gtk1 build of Firefox 2.0.0.20.  Giving the user a choice of gtk1 and gtk2 versions of apps where possible is one of the goals of TC and this is the latest Firefox available as gtk1.  With Flash 7 installed, it presently works with Youtube videos and other flash content.

Code: [Select]
Title:          bonecho.tce
Description:    Bon Echo web browser
Version:        2.0.0.20
Author:         The Mozilla Community
Original-site:  www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Copying-policy: MPL
Size: 10MB
Extension_by:   Jason W
Comments:       This is the gtk1 build of Firefox from
www.lamarelle.org/mo-zi-lla/mozilla.php.
                This extension is PPI compatible.
Change-log:     ----             
Current: 2009/05/07 First version 2.0.0.20

Code: [Select]
Title:          bonecho.tcz
Description:    Bon Echo web browser
Version:        2.0.0.20
Author:         The Mozilla Community
Original-site:  www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Copying-policy: MPL
Size: 10MB
Extension_by:   Jason W
Comments:       This is the gtk1 build of Firefox from
www.lamarelle.org/mo-zi-lla/mozilla.php.
                This extension is PPI compatible.
Change-log:     ----             
Current: 2009/05/07 First version 2.0.0.20

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: Bon Echo
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:18:10 PM »
With Flash 7 installed, it presently works with Youtube videos and other flash content.

this is a very cool extension, thank you jason. note to svg users, this version predates svg graphics support. also if you are already running minefield from tcz and try to run bon echo from tcz, it will actually run minefield, (and say "bon echo") giving you the illusion that you have flash 9 support in bon echo (which is impossible. bon echo is gtk1, flash9 is gtk2.) then unmount minefield, you'll find "bon echo" is totally different.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:32:49 PM by tobiaus »

Offline alu

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »
thanks for this extension; nevertheless, as i have randomly choosen a couple of videos on youtube, youtube did not display them saying that the version of flash is not current (works with other web sites)

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:42:59 PM »
i have randomly choosen a couple of videos on youtube, youtube did not display them saying that the version of flash is not current (works with other web sites)

i was very skeptical that flash 7 worked with youtube. it did once, but these days i think they require 9 at least. (as i said in the post, i've used it with 9 today.) but i want to know exactly how you installed 7, because there is no download script. i assume you just went to adobe's site, found a very old version and installed it the official way. but perhaps you copied it from an older distro, or maybe you googled it. i'd like to try 7.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 03:32:54 AM »
I wouldn't state that youtube would work with Flash 7 if I didn't try it myself first. 

The browser crashed with me once, but all of them have done that.  Adobe has the flash 7 archive still.  Surely not recommended for everyday normal flash use but watching the occasional video works.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:48:35 AM »
I will list instructions for flash 7 tonight as I am at work now.  I don't think there really is going to be enough demand for flash 7 to script it, but if there is it can be done.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 05:23:33 PM »
I will list instructions for flash 7 tonight as I am at work now.  I don't think there really is going to be enough demand for flash 7 to script it, but if there is it can be done.

i happy to install it myself, but any argument in favor of bon echo as a tce should be enough reason for flash 7 as one also.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:40:18 PM »
I have been using bon echo as my normal browser for the last day or so with almost no glitches.  Most of the sites that I go to that use flash work with flash 7 still.  I am thinking on the subject of a flash 7 install script, but I would rather the user choose where to download the flash 7 archive as it is 35mb large and this setup is targeted at older machines that may not have ram to spare.  I think instructions on downloading and making a tce of flash would suffice in this case.  The size of the flash archive does not fit with cloud mode, especially on the older machines that would be running a gtk1 desktop.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:57:26 PM »
that sounds like good thinking.