WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: can't boot 3.0.21-tinycore64 ... shorten kernel release string?  (Read 5523 times)

Offline webb

can't boot 3.0.21-tinycore64 ... shorten kernel release string?
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:00:09 AM »
hi juanito,

i would love to use corepure64, but my machine (thinkpad t510 / i7) won't boot the latest tinycore vmlinuz64 (error "fixing recursive fault - reboot needed"). i see over ten forum posts by users with this error preventing them from using vmlinuz64.

i compiled my own vmlinuz64 using config-3.0.21-tinycore64 and patches, changing only the release string. with a release string that is 16 characters or less, the system boots fine. 3.0.21-tinycore64 is 17 characters long, and won't boot. still, this only helps me, not the others with this problem, and it's inconvenient -- i can't use or share kernel-specific packages with anyone else this way.

how would you feel about shortening the release string, e.g., to 3.0.21-tc64 ? i guess this would require recompiling the kernel and all kernel-specific packages, as well as finding and replacing all instances of "3.0.21-tinycore64" to "3.0.21-tc64" within all other packages.

many thanks,
webb

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: can't boot 3.0.21-tinycore64 ... shorten kernel release string?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:20:14 AM »
Hmm - perhaps this would be better kept to the next major release of tinycore since it affects both core64 and corepure64

Curaga?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: can't boot 3.0.21-tinycore64 ... shorten kernel release string?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
It's a kernel bug yes, but completely unrelated to the version string. I think it's more that you made a new build which doesn't have some random trigger for the bug.

The message (recursive fault) also doesn't mean all the reports are about the same bug. It's a generic message.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.