WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: am i retarded?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline matt_windsoront

am i retarded?
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:40:15 PM »
so i want to set up my TCL(2.0rc1) for presistance (ppr/tce)

seems simple enough.

files are suposed to download to /tmp/tce but downloaded files dont appear here the files rather go to   /home/tc

this is my menu.lst

default 0
timeout 0
title tinycore
kernel /boot/bzImage waitusb=5 tce=UUID=6C98-30DD
initrd /boot/tinycore.gz

so why are my TCE files downloading to /home/tc ?

what are bootcodes and when or where do I enter them?

i dont know when to enter the codes i'm finding on the internet so i put them in the menu.lst under the kernel line. is this my problem?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 04:42:59 PM by matt_windsoront »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: am i retarded?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »
what are bootcodes and when or where do I enter them?

waitusb=5 is one.

tce=UUID=6C98-30DD is another. did you get that uuid yourself or is it someone else's? if it's not yours it shouldn't be very useful, it's for identifying a specific device, like a specific usb key. see the faq from the main website for how to find yours.

i think those bootcodes are in the right place.

without the right uuid (or, you can just use the /mnt/location if you know which /mnt your storage is...) it's not surprising that it's not putting tce's there. but i don't know why they're going to /home/tc of all places.

Offline matt_windsoront

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »
thanks for the quick reply!(I love the feeling of a community)

and yes that is the uuid of my thumbdrive.

my drive is /dev/sdb1 which would be munted to /mnt/sdb1 but the drive isnt mounted till i mount it with

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

so how would putting the mount point in a bootcode work? thats why i chose the uuid method becuase i didnt think the drive would have a mount point till I assign it.

please dont think that this is the 1st place I came for help.(I'm not lazy) I googled to the best of my ability, searched and read countless threads in the forum.I tryed the different things I saw posted but still no luck.

my remaining question:
could the funky fat32 files system on my thumbdrive be effecting this?

Offline matt_windsoront

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 05:13:30 PM »
is there anyway to slow the boot process? would there be an output message for the tce bootcode?

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:15:05 PM »
my drive is /dev/sdb1 which would be munted to /mnt/sdb1 but the drive isnt mounted till i mount it with

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

so how would putting the mount point in a bootcode work? thats why i chose the uuid method becuase i didnt think the drive would have a mount point till I assign it.

please dont think that this is the 1st place I came for help.(I'm not lazy) I googled to the best of my ability, searched and read countless threads in the forum.

i know the feeling! using the uuid should work, as should using the mount point. the fact that the uuid didn't also suggests that the mount point won't either, but you should maybe try the mountpoint anyway. the reason either should work is that tc's boot scripts will try to mount it based on that boot code. the reason it's not working i don't know, so my quick reply may not help. it's (always) possible we're both missing something obvious. add the pause bootcode (just "pause" no parameters...) to see messages. edit: also try typing "dmesg" into a term. fat32 can be an issue, but it shouldn't be the explanation for this- you should be able to use it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:20:05 PM by tobiaus »

Offline PingPing

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »
From 'Core Concepts':
The Second Mode of Operation: PPR/TCE
The second mode of operation is the use of the boot option tce=hdXY
My read of this is that only 'hdXX/sdXX' is allowed and UUID is not.  My brief scan of inittab and rcS (/etc/init.d/tc-config) also suggests this is the case.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »
If you have TC v1.3 or later then you can use UUID or labels see:
http://tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#pendrives
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline matt_windsoront

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 06:30:22 PM »
well now that i deleted what i had in my kernel line to just quiet. the files have been downloading to /tmp/tce like it should.

when i try to install any extention it freezes (like with the buzyboxes downloading). not everytime tho. which is why I want to go with persistant operation because there is no problem installing the extentions just when downloading them it freezes.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »
when i try to install any extention it freezes (like with the buzyboxes downloading). not everytime tho. which is why I want to go with persistant operation because there is no problem installing the extentions just when downloading them it freezes.

I've seen this problem, too.  I assumed (and still do) that it had to do with botched persistence settings.  I never had the time to really track down the problem and now it has been over a week since I messed with any of this stuff much, so those brain cells have retired.  As I remember it, I could sometimes cancel a "hung" download (with ctrl-C) and find the extension had downloaded after all and would work just fine.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline Guy

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »
Downloads can stop if the folder containing modules is not writable.

If people are having trouble downloading modules, they can be downloaded with any downloader, and copied to the tce folder. You must download all of the dependencies.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.