WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Please help a beginner  (Read 13277 times)

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
Re: Please help a beginner
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 03:05:28 AM »
Hi bmarcus

Thanks for your advice, I will try to make a tcz.

However, I have been able to make it work before, when I used a separate partition for the TCE directory.
Does this make any sense?
Is there a difference between making the microcore with the piCorePlayer one partition or using two (one for microcore and one for the TCE directory)?

The only other thing that are different is that I use the newest microcore 4.7.4 now.

edit:
This is the content of my /opt/.xfiletool.lst  (originally the mnt was uncommented, I tried to comment it out, but it did not solve my problem.

Code: [Select]
tc@box:/opt$ cat /opt/.xfiletool.lst
Cache
cache
.cache
XUL.mfasl
XPC.mfasl
#mnt
.adobe/Flash_Player/AssetCache
.macromedia/Flash_Player
.opera/opcache
.opera/cache4
.Xauthority
.wmx

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:19:26 AM by sbp »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 03:42:12 AM »

Is there a difference between making the microcore with the piCorePlayer one partition or using two (one for microcore and one for the TCE directory)?

What do you mean "piCorePlayer" one partition? Its is a directory in the file system /usr/local/sbin/picoreplayer

How does its content get populated with files?

BTW, tce directory can be on any readable portition's root (FAT or EXTn type), first found will be used automatically by the system, if not specified explicitely with a boot code.

For example I have /tce on both /mnt/mmcblk0p2 and /mnt/mmcblk0p4 with different set of modules for development and testing. System mounts one from  /mnt/mmcblk0p2 When I want to use the other, just renaming it to tcexxx and system will boot with /mnt/mmcblk0p4
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 03:56:35 AM »

What do you mean "piCorePlayer" one partition? Its is a directory in the file system /usr/local/sbin/picoreplayer

How does its content get populated with files?

BTW, tce directory can be on any readable portition's root (FAT or EXTn type), first found will be used automatically by the system, if not specified explicitely with a boot code

Sorry that was unclear.

What I did this time was that after booting the microcore for the first time I used "tce-setdrive" and there was only one partition to choose from so I chose 1 =  /mnt/mmcblk0p1

Previously I had been making a new ext4 partition (following one of your previous advise) and the had chosen this separate partition (/mnt/mmcblk0p2) for the TCE directory.

But this time I would like to include all in one partition - but then I seem unable to get microcore to backup any new files that I make manually

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 04:27:17 AM »
Is there a tce directory on the /mnt/mmcblk0p1 partition? Please consider it's limited size, it's all together 40Mbyte and nout a journaling type, do not put /tce there. Use always a different partition for /tce and you need a swap partition also. Can't be a problem, you can't find SD card with less than 2GB capacity (even 2GB is out of productiond and hard to find).
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 04:49:05 AM »
Is there a tce directory on the /mnt/mmcblk0p1 partition?

Yes that was my goal to only have one partition (like you do with the piCore-X beta)

Please consider it's limited size, it's all together 40Mbyte and nout a journaling type, do not put /tce there.

I will only use this as a dedicated piCorePlayer (a music player for the Logitech Squeezebox system), so there will only be installed what I put in this player, and therefore swap will not be needed either. I have managed to get it down to 23 MB all in all (microcore + ALSA + dropbear + WiFi + squeezelite player)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 07:18:43 AM »
Hi sbp
originally the mnt was uncommented
The .filetool.lst and .xfiletool.lst files are not scripts, they contain patterns that tar uses to determine which files
to include and exclude. When you added:
Code: [Select]
usr/local/sbin/picoreplayerto .filetool.lst, did you remember to hit carriage return?

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 08:04:37 AM »
Hi Rich

You were spot on - after adding a carriage return - everything is working fine.

I learn so much from you all. Thank you