WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: preserving custom system configuration files  (Read 5488 times)

Offline 3rail

preserving custom system configuration files
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:53:10 AM »
What are other people doing about preserving custom system files?  Are you just making the mods and throwing those filenames to be preserved into /opt/.filetool.lst?  Or are you making TCE's and loading them at boot time?

I've made a few minor mods to system config files (like /etc/modprobe.conf and created a file called /opt/eth1.sh to obtain a dhcp lease) and would like to preserve and have them be portable.  I done both ways and can't decide which is better -- I believe roberts said that making tce's out of them is the way to go.  Opinions?

Online curaga

• Administrator
Re: preserving custom system configuration files
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
Depends on what you want. If they are for one machine, a backup would be better; if for several, then an extension. This is my take on it.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 01:41:57 PM »
/etc/modprobe.conf changes would probably only work as a .tce since udevtrigger runs during boot when there are installed extensions before the backed up files are restored.  At least in the case of blacklisting.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 02:09:22 PM »
What are other people doing about preserving custom system files?  Are you just making the mods and throwing those filenames to be preserved into /opt/.filetool.lst?  Or are you making TCE's and loading them at boot time?

I've made a few minor mods to system config files (like /etc/modprobe.conf and created a file called /opt/eth1.sh to obtain a dhcp lease) and would like to preserve and have them be portable.  I done both ways and can't decide which is better -- I believe roberts said that making tce's out of them is the way to go.  Opinions?
I created an extension (.tce file) using the backup system. I used the "add to filetool" menu tool to add files to be saved to the .filetool.lst file in the /opt directory just as you would for creating a backup file. I then edited the file using vi to remove any files that I didn't need. I then created a backup file using the tool panel and then renamed the mydata.gz to mydata.tce. Finally, I added the mydata.tce to the tce folder.
big pc man

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:17:56 PM »
Depends on what you want. If they are for one machine, a backup would be better; if for several, then an extension. This is my take on it.

yeah but if the different machines (or users on them) are going to change any settings, they'll need to be in the backup anyway and your settings extension is just taking up space. hence a backup is for the dynamic and the extensions are for the static. number of machines should enter into it, but it's not what really decides which is more needed. also it depends on which is applied second, the mydata or the other extensions. used to be one way, i think someone argued for the other, so that may also apply.

Offline med458

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:49:19 PM »
Dear friends: If you are reading this thread trying to figure out how to maintain changes to modprobe.conf after reboots, please read this thread:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,14817.0.html
it suggests that making an extension is not the answer, and suggests to use the blacklist bootcode.