WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Adding X Desktop to rpiCore  (Read 17303 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Adding X Desktop to rpiCore
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »
phillip.toone@

Uploaded image of my SD card, it must work. Download info sent in PM.

sudo tce-load -i mc

is my fault, no need of sudo. It simly install mc and it's dependecies from /tce/optional if for some reason not installed (mounted) but available.

TC loads extensions from /tce/optional listed in /tce/onboot.lst plus their dependensies recursively in ...dep files

Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline phillip.toone

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »
Uploaded image of my SD card, it must work. Download info sent in PM.

Thanks bmarkus.  The download file was huge (piCore-X-001.img.xz = 1.9 GB) and the image file (piCore-X-001.img = 3.7GB) was even bigger.  It took a long time to extract the file and write it to my SD card.  But it works!  I assume there will be a smaller download of this available in the future.

My experience:  WOW!  This thing is lightning fast!  Does this OS reside in ram like Puppy?  It is super fast like puppy is on a decent computer.  (I found puppy to be to slow on the Raspberry Pi.)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 08:06:15 AM »
SD card image was a one to one copy of my card and not a regular distribution image. Of course normal downloads will be different.

No idea how Puppy works.

piCore base runs in RAM, but extensions are mounted from the SD card. Maybe X parts loaded to RAM, can't check it now, see /tce/copy2fs.lst if exist.

Béla

Offline hlavery

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »
@bmarkus...did you compile Xorg using the curaga scripts and src (changed for arm), or download files from some distro? I am trying to get X on allwinner a10, but downloading the Debian versions via import just abort on a call to busybox mktemp as Debian Xorg seem to expect Gnu mktemp options and so abort  Busybox vs. Gnu mktemp seems to be an old problem, looking through the archives, but I don't see a definitive solution.  Thanks.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 01:31:09 AM »
@slavery

Do not know Curaga's script and src. Downloaded Xorg 7.6 source from www.x.org and built. It works, just final testing tcz's. There were no issues building it native but it takes time due to many dependencies and configure options and also due to slow QEMU environment. Regarding config, as no accelerated video available only fb, I built it without MESA, so no GL at the moment but it is fine.

Building libs, apps, drivers no any special config parameter used. For Xserver I can share the cinfig pars if you need.

BTW I built tcz's with protos and libs before proceeding to have RAM otherwise I gout out of mem even with large swap.
Béla

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 06:08:51 AM »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline hlavery

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2012, 08:13:20 AM »
@bmarkus...It would be helpful if you could send me your compilation configuration via messages.

I think that even if I managed to get the Debian X system to start that it is so bloated that the end result would not be much like Tinycore.  I will give the curaga scripts a try now, at least once I buy a bigger SD card.  i would rather compile in hardware in Core (which now works for me on the Miniand Hackberry) but need more room to do so.